ACN Latitudes Forums

my 7 1/2 year old just developed vocal & motor tics our of nowhere

mwhite

Hi. I'm very new to this. My 7 1/2 year old daughter developed vocal tics tics a few weeks ago. We've noticed when she tries not to do It then she does motor tics. I'm at a loss right now. I've gotten no answers from the neurologist yet and the start of school is quickly approaching. We've noticed that it gets really bad when we have to do anything stimulating. I think anxiety is playing a big role in this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm heart broken over this. It pains me to watch daughter have no control.

Hi and welcome

I have to leave for work shortly so this is just a quick post.

Until you know what is causing the tics, best you can do is try not to show her your anxiety over them as that will just snowball into more anxiety=more tics for her.

Many have found that cleaning up diet (ie get rid of all artificial/chemical food additives like food dyes, artificial sweeteners, HFCS, MSG and anything that has a chemical name) try to eat organic, pure foods

Some people (not all) find that eliminating dairy and/or gluten can help....sometimes other foods may be causing tics due to sensitivity/allergy

Clean up her environment too ...dust, mold and possible allergens

If you have new carpeting, new paint, new woodwork or even a new car this can be a tic trigger due to the chemicals in them

Household and garden pesticides can be tic triggers see http://latitudes.org/finding-triggers-for-tics-a-must-read/

Has she had any recent infections like strep? If so, consider posting on our PANS/PANDAS forum

Many of us have found magnesium supplementation to be very helpful in reducing tics. Also using epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) baths - 2 cups epsom salts in tub of warm water, soak 15-20 min before bed.

Take a look at our Useful Threads to get some more info http://latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2459

Sheila Rogers' book is an excellent resource http://latitudes.org/store/tics-tourettes-book/

Other members will be along soon to add extra info for you

Welcome the forum.

It is so hard in the beginning, so we know how you are feeling right now. This forum and it's members are so knowledgeable and most of us have experienced success in reducing the severity of our children's tics through natural alternatives. I cannot recommend Sheila's book enough, not only will it give you the tools to search out possible triggers, but the best part for me was also reading people's stories at the beginning. It gave me so much hope, where through searching the internet, it just drove me into more fear.

I've written my experience under my profile, so feel free to have a read of the journey I have taken with my son. For us his tic's came on at the age of 7 and the first few months were the worse and most severe. Now although he still gets tics, they are not constant and most people don't even notice them. For my situation, I strongly believe my son's TS is caused through a reaction to chemicals in the environment and in his food. We can definitely trace an increase in tics to something he has been exposed to or eaten.

Feel free to ask any questions you like, we are all here to help each other.

Take care

• 1 year later...

Hi,

My 7 year old also developed a grunting sound that is some times softer and in the evening becomes more intense.

It's every few minutes. Sometimes he does a sniff and then the grunt. In the evening, it looks like he does a facial tic that replaces the grunt.

I give him magnesium in the form of the liquid by CALM. I've tried Suntheanine and now give him very high quality fish oil.

How do you know it's a tic vs. tourettes?

I'm waiting for our pediatrician to send in the referral for a pediatric neurologist.

Thanks so much in advance for your feedback!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi P888--sorry for the delay in responding to your post. You asked how one knows if it is tics or Tourette's. The distinction can be somewhat arbitrary. The term Tourette's is used when vocal and movement tics have existed on and off for a year.

Please see this summary on our website that can help explain the diagnosis issues among other things: http://latitudes.org/conditions/what-is-tourette-syndrome/

The suggestions Chemar gave to the person who started this thread could be helpful. Please read her post from last year.

And, Pilbara mentioned our book -- I would agree that it's very useful for someone in your situation.

http://latitudes.org/store/natural-treatments-for-tics-and-tourette-syndrome-book/

Did you see a pediatric neurologist yet? Please let us know how things are going.