ACN Latitudes Forums

5 year old with sudden Tics

patty

I am using Lil Critters groovy calcium Gummy Bears with Vitamin D . It says no wheat ( gluten) , milk , eggs ,peanuts , teernuts,soy,artifical colours,flavours or preservatives. I got it from costco

http://www.gummybearvitamins.com/products/groovycalcium/

Vitamin D 200IU

Calcium as tricalcium phosphate 200mg

phosphorus as tricalcium phosphate 100 mg

sodium 10 mg

Now i am wondering if this is correct product i should use. Can you tell me what you are using or what i should use.

thanks

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kkver,

I quicky searched tricalcium phosphate and saw things like ash, bone meal etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricalcium_phosphate

Much of the "tricalcium phosphate" on the market is actually powdered hydroxyapatite.

The skeletons and teeth of vertebrate animals are composed of calcium phosphate, mainly hydroxylapatite.

Personally, I would be hesitant to use that form of calcium because of the possible lead contamination.

You can use the seach feature on this forum and find quite a few posts relating to this subject. You can also call the manufacturer and ask them about lead safety testing. 1-800-661-2736 lil critters

I use Citracal Petites. They are 200 mg of calcium citrate and 200 IU of vitamin D per coated tablet. They do have added color (although they're white) and a few "other ingredients" that I'm not wild about, but they are easy for my boys to swallow due to smaller size.

I found one site that said they were tested "lead free" and calcium citrate has a reputation of being good as far as absorbtion.

HTH

Kim

another day with new kind of tics explosion , this time it was constant throat clearing . This got triggered due to allergy as Santa Ana winds kicked in today. I guess we are going through ups and downs Don't know how long they will last.

kkver,

I have just got the Peter Gillham's Natural Vitality, CalMag in the 2:1 ratio. As Kim pointed out, the mag citrate is good for absorption, but i have trouble finding it in the powder or chewable form.

Since we are already taking the Natural Calm for kids, i decided to try the CalMag combo. It is a blend of Calcium Gluconate and Magnesium Citrate.

According to my research, the body absorbs mag better with Vit C, i think that's why the natural calm for kids has vit C.

Patty

kkver,

I have just got the Peter Gillham's Natural Vitality, CalMag in the 2:1 ratio. As Kim pointed out, the mag citrate is good for absorption, but i have trouble finding it in the powder or chewable form.

Since we are already taking the Natural Calm for kids, i decided to try the CalMag combo. It is a blend of Calcium Gluconate and Magnesium Citrate.

According to my research, the body absorbs mag better with Vit C, i think that's why the natural calm for kids has vit C.

Patty

Re: Natural Calm...

Patty, you are ahead of me! I found today in a small health food store Peter Gillham's "Natural Calm, Plus Calcium". It says 300 mg. magnesium, calcium 200 mg., Potassium 99 mg., Vitamin C 250 mg., Vit D3 100IU and Boron 500 mcg.........First time I came accross this mag/cal in combo powder form to dissolve in hot water. Is this same product you are referring to? I just mention it as some are struggling to find which calcium to put with the magnesium. As I've mentioned before, I like this product called Super Mag which also has a little vit C in it too like the kids calm, but thought this one might be good to try too since it has the calcium added. (Pricey too, at $21.95 for 6 oz. cannister.)

Just to make sure, why were a couple of you saying you thought the vit C was increasing tics in the previous posts? Any confirmations, or just suspicions? I don't give extra vit c, just what is in that magnesium drink.

Faith

Still trying ....tics are changeing evrey day one day throat clearing , one day vocal ( hmmmm) with head shake , one day twitching in legs while standing ...Don't know what to do ..kinda pain to see him do tha ...Missed his Baseball ....Need some miracle...

My pain ends up turning to anxiety. I actually talked to a tharapist friend and told me what I was feeling was normal. Doesn't make me feel a whole lot better. I just try to be strong for him and not to let him see me look anxious. I keep searching and praying, we are doing pretty good for awhile now, I am trying to focus on that part and not the part that wonders if it will come back as bad as it was before. I feel the Calm, Super B, the limiting of X-box has helped. Time will tell. I plan on taking our son to a naturapath for some tests and see what comes of that. Keep your head up and remeber God will never give us more then we can handle.

Lenny

kkver,

Have you tried epsom salt bath? It really help reduce the tics. On a bad day, i would suggest having one in the AM and PM (the epsom salt works for about 9 hours). 2 cups of salt per bath, soaking for 20-30 minutes. And drink lots of purified water during & after the bath. This helps the body to detox.

As for yourself, taking magnesium for yourself will help alleviate some of your stress. A good one is Peter Gillham's Natural Calm. When you are stress, your body depletes magnesium, so it is important to replenish your body with this mineral. It has helped me thru some tough times. The "Rescue Remedy" is also helpful too.

Patty

By the saturday evening i noticed Tics going down quite a bit and i had noticed this for last 2 days. they use to flare up as soon as i started with suppliments with vitamin C . I stopped the supplements on saturday and only used vitmin C and saw some Tics come back . He went to sleep and next day morning i saw some mild vocal come back after he took orange juice. Sunday i completly stopped the vitmains and minrals except regular vitmins which had normal range. Today i saw some more improvement in motor and vocal till 3 pm PST . Only once a while i hear him clearing throat which could be allergy reason as i have not given nay allergy medicine for 2 weeks ( use to take zertac ) and his nose gets bit blocked while sleeping ( possible membrane of nose enlargment ) but i am not sure if that throat cleing is Tic or allergy . But it is noticible low the previous day. We are keeping our fingers crossed in a hope God has listened to us. Post your inputs on this and let me know if some one has seen like this .

thnaks

kkver,

When i initially supplemented my son with 250 mg of vit C. i thought i saw an increased in tics, however, that seems to went away. When my son is waxing, everything seem to be a trigger. When he is not, nothing seem to bother him. We have been giving him vit C for about 3 mos. now, and he is doing fine with it. As a matter of fact, he is about 98% tic free. I attribute that to his chirop & CST treatments and supplementing with Kids Calm.

Patty

As you said patty after 2 calm days they came back . some vocal with little head shake . Running out of ideas but keeping a hope. Trying to contact a Dr in UC San francisco as unable good one in Couthern california. hopefully she will see us. Mean while due to his throat and sinus build up doctor gave Zethromax. So i am thinking if it is panadas related it should go away while the medicine is in use as these Tics came right after last strep throat. too many combinations going in mind but will have to know each one by one. Lets see where tommorow takes us.

• 2 weeks later...

We went thorough 10 days of Zithromax and he was totaly tic free from day 3rd. Now after 96 hours of stopped antbiotic i saw couple of vebal tics. I have feeling they r in the process of returning. I have him on 250 mg Vitmin C and regular multivitamins.

I plan to do

1) Take his titers count tommorow.

2) may keep him on 250 mg twice a week on zithromax.

Will like to know how long will it take after the strep has cleared for tic to go away if titer count is low?

Will it be ok to keep him on antibiotic ( personally dodnot want unless no choice)

I will like some suggestions.

thanks