ACN Latitudes Forums

Need help understanding B6

Hi Guys,

We have noticed the B6 is really helping. I need help understanding what it is doing, in reguards to sarotonin, dopamine,and norepinephrine.

I understand my son takes the Risperdal to lower the dopamine. If the B6 is helping what is it doing? The norepinephrine from what I read seems to be a problem with the stress factors in my sons life.

Is the B6 balancing all three out, or working on one?

Next question... Bonnie's supps. have a 90 plus pound person could take 20 capsules of her product. Does that mean it would be ok for our son to take 100mg of B6? I'm also wondering how much the meds is effecting the absorbtion of the B6?

Thanks

C.P.

Hi C.P.

100 mg. of B6 is usually the upper limit and that should be okay..I don't want to say what to do, but I would go 50 mg. to start. Just my thought. You could always work up. Wish I could help more but I don't know too much on how it works though, but think its good for depression so must have something to do with seratonin? Are you still adding supps or staying with what you were doing? Are things still stable?

Regards

Faith

CP,

I think the amount of B6 that someone can tolerate/benefit from varies. I think 100 mgs. is too much for my boys, but maybe if I would have introduced it more gradually, it would have been different.

I was really happy to come across this paper written by Bonnie Grimaldi.

It's been a while since I read it, but I have it saved. It may give you some insights.

Note;

In Vitamin B6 deficiency, large amounts of L-kynurenine are excreted

in the urine, because of its high plasma levels

http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/neur-sci/1996...ary/022416.html

The info on strep/antibiotics and vit B was interesting too.

Kim,

Thank you very much that really helps explains a lot. I'm wondering if my husband has out grown his TS because he has out grown some of the allergies he had as a kid.

Son's Kynurenate was high on his profile. Xanthurenate was high also and B6 is mentioned for intervention with that too. What I find interesting is the Common Metabolic Association For the Xanthurenate it is (impaired Tryptophan metabolism) for the Kynurnate (Receptor antagonist) I think I understand why my son is to eat meat three times a day. The exercise may be helping my son too. He started lifting last year but was not into it every other day like he has been for the last 5 months.

He is going on three week since we started the B6 I just opened the capsule and gave him a little at a time for a week. now he is on the 50mg. It is P5P/PAX 25mg of each.

Thanks again I think this info will be helpful to a lot of parents.

C.P.

P.S. Yes, Faith he is still doing good, maybe even a little better.

Hi Guys,

We have noticed the B6 is really helping. I need help understanding what it is doing, in reguards to sarotonin, dopamine,and norepinephrine.

I understand my son takes the Risperdal to lower the dopamine. If the B6 is helping what is it doing? The norepinephrine from what I read seems to be a problem with the stress factors in my sons life.

Is the B6 balancing all three out, or working on one?

Next question... Bonnie's supps. have a 90 plus pound person could take 20 capsules of her product. Does that mean it would be ok for our son to take 100mg of B6? I'm also wondering how much the meds is effecting the absorbtion of the B6?

Thanks

C.P.

I am not familiar with Risperdal. But I have to take tryptophan and DLPA to increase my serotonin levels and my catecholamine levels. Dopamine (DA) is converted into norepinephrine (NE) and epinephrine (E). All three (not serotonin but dopamine, NE and E) are referred to collectively as catecholamines. So dopamine and NE and E are the same almost in terms of what supplements you take.

I do know that when I take higher than normal tryptophan this increases my serotonin levels and has the effect of lowering my dopamine levels. So I know from my own personal experience and what I have read that serotonin and DA really balance one another. If one gets high that makes the other one seem low. So my guess is that your son is taking that drug to lower his DA levels because that might be needed depending on what other supplements (amino acids really) he is taking.

But my vitamin b6 dependency means I have low serotonin levels, low DA levels, and low NE and E levels too (at least when I am stressed out). These (NE and E) are stress hormones in the body but they are also neurotransmitters in the brain. And when you are under stress (anyone is under stress) these neuros (NE and E) fire more frequently making them depleted faster.

Usually anyone having been stressed out for long periods might need to supplement DLPA or tyrosine. The body just seems to get depleted of these neuros, but this is obviously something your doctor would be able to help you with. I am not sure how your son would adjust his supplements if the stress level in his life changes. Your doctor is probably the best one to ask about that. Being young he may not need to supplement for low NE or E levels, but that is just a guess.