ACN Latitudes Forums

Need help with lab results- immunoglobulins and IgG subclasses

My 19 year old son's testing is back and his doc appt isn't until September 12. He has been in Lyme treatment for 4 years. Diagnosed PAns in February and has completed his 5th HD IVIG.

Can you help me understand his labs? Doesn't seem like much improvement. I've googled the topics quite a bit and don't find help. I'm wondering if docs look at age of patient within these normal ranges. Does anything stand out? Also wondering if an immunologist would be helpful at all. Hate to bring in a new doc that does more damage than good.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Range. 7/21/14. 6/10/13

IgA. 68-378. 92. 72

IgM. 60-263. 143. 117

IgG. 694-1618. 925. 843

IgG sub1. 382-929. 463. 466

2. 242-700. 309. 216

3. 22-176. 30.5. 37.5

4. 4-86. 22.7. 22.1

I am assuming the 3rd number is your son's range. If so, it looks like he is in range with everything. My son had this testing but his IGA was below the normal range. He is not considered to be deficient. However, he had some additional testing that was done by his immunologist. At the time, my son had the appointment he was coming down with something because his white blood count was up. My son was complaining of a sore throat. His T helper cells count was too low. These are the cells that call out the troops to fight infections. This is how our doctor figured out that my son had some type of immune situation going on. An immunologist could run some additional testing to check levels of other specific cell levels that help fight infection. The cd 57 marker is one used to check for Lyme and immune regulation with this disease. I know just enough about Lyme disease to be curious about accurate testing.

Are you still treating for Lyme? Are you seeing any improvement with the IVIG treatments? My son has had three treatments but I am not seeing any improvements with any symptoms.

You can specify age range results if clearly mark on order form. Lab corp has done it for us in the past. However, I think there is certain age in which it no longer applies (sorry I can't remember top end of age range). I think your son would be considered an adult.

Your son's result look phenomenal compared to our children!! DR. K in CT is a neurologist who treats neuro-Lyme with IVIG along side combination antibiotics. He presented at ILADs last year. You might look around on-line for his talk on Lyme/IVIG.

We are currently doing low dose monthly with our DD and its taken a while to see improvement. Are you doing HD or LD? Have you checked your son for mold yet? We found mold to have a huge impact our all our kids immune function. Also my friend's son with gestational Lyme subclasses really turned around when they treated elevated Nagalase.

Thanks everyone for the good information.

He is doing high dose.

After test name is test range, then July testing 2014 and then testing last summer.

Doc had made a statement that for a 19 year old boy numbers should be much higher.

Mold has been ruled our with testing.

I do want to inquire about nagalase at next appt.

Son isn't taking any meds right now. Seeing some improvement in energy. Hard to get him to talk about improvements. He is so over it all!

Interesting about testing during IVIG. I thought immunoglobins would stay in body.

K