ACN Latitudes Forums

Probiotics may help tics?

A Naturopathic Dr told me to give my son Nature's Sunshine's Probiotic Powers for my 5 year old who has motor tics- because my son had silent acid reflux at infancy and now has been burping a lot lately. My son does have burping and gassy days here and there the past 5 years! I did remove all diary and almost all sugar from his diet for 4 days already with Nature's Sunshine's vitamins and omega-3. This probiotic products include Bifidobacterium bifidum,infantis and longum, lactobacillus rhamnosus, acidophilus (grown on milk), Streptococcus thermophilus.

The idea of the DR is to heal the gut from all the diary first and it may strengthen up the immune system and may eventually help tics. My son seems doing well with multi-vitamin and omega-3. I am afraid to add probiotic. Anyone has experience with probiotic and the effect on tics?

Thanks.

Barb

Yes, when one addresses problems in the GIT, it is frequently assosciated with a decrease in tics.

Often, there may be an overgrowth of Candida albicans in the gut which supresses the good flora. Probiotics help to restore the correct balance.

Research is beginning to show just how essential our digestive systems are in maintaining overall body health, and also keeping our immune systems healthy.

Many people have come to this forum worried about a child with tics, and left with the tics resolved due to correct dietary modifications, including probiotics and digestive enzymnes.

Just an FYI that not everyone can tolerate the strong probiotic supplements, and some do better taking them in a more natural form like kefir

We use the Lifeway plain kefir as it is made from the milk of cows with original B2 casien, not the unnatural B1 that is mostly around from agricultural breeding http://www.snowvillecreamery.com/a1-and-a2-beta-casein-in-cow-milk.html

If there is total intolerance to cow milk, kefir from goat milk or also coconut kefir are excellent alternatives