ACN Latitudes Forums

When did your childs tics become problematic

I thought it might be a good idea to take a quick survey to gauge when the symptoms started to become a problem. Many people on here, including myself are not sure what to expect for our sons and daughters and so i thought this may be helpful. For me (having TS) the worst time was at 13 yrs old. Please join in.

Thanks.

10-11 yo was the worst time for my son in terms of severity, frequency and duration of tic waxing phases

hard to say if it would have continued but we started on the alternatives a month before his 12th birthday and everything dramatically improved

I thought it might be a good idea to take a quick survey to gauge when the symptoms started to become a problem. Many people on here, including myself are not sure what to expect for our sons and daughters and so i thought this may be helpful. For me (having TS) the worst time was at 13 yrs old. Please join in.

Thanks.

It would also be nice to know when the ticcing started? If it peaked at 13, what age did the tics start.

Lenny

10-11 yo was the worst time for my son in terms of severity, frequency and duration of tic waxing phases

hard to say if it would have continued but we started on the alternatives a month before his 12th birthday and everything dramatically improved

Hi Chemar, thanks for responding. When you say the tics "dramatically improved" - what percentage would you say.... 40%, 80% ect....?

Thanks.

itsme

I dont like to try to put figures on things like that but before he was debilitated and hospitalised and had to be withdrwn from school from severely injurious tics

I try never to specifically name my son's tics as I understand full well about speaking of a type of tic being a trigger for others who have TS..........but my son's tics were very frightening back then

Once he came off the meds and started the natural treatments those severe, complex and injurious tics stopped TOTALLY and have never returned, and he is now 171/2 yo

His tics became very mild and have remained that way...even when waxing they do not interfere with his normal life

Yes, that's a good question too, Lenny.

And it depends on what someone considers severe. I mean, I was very upset at every little thing. My son started eye blink at 3 1/2 but it wasn't constant over next couple years. And looking at the whole picture, he just turned 8 and this school year he had a few things around the same time so, that, to me is not a good thing. Because it becomes really noticeable. He had a vocal last year and this year, so vocal is hard because in a quiet classroom it is noticeable. But if he does it sporadically throughout the day anywhere else, its not. So far I feel second grade has been the worst so far ..... I pray everyday it doesn't get any worse......If I can keep most under control, to a minimum, then that is my prayer.

And also, for those using the natural approach -- please let us know if the symptoms at the worse times are when practicing good health and natural healing or not yet. Does anyone think the younger ones may be able to stave off that pubescent waxing time, BECAUSE of the natural healing we do?

Faith

And it depends on what someone considers severe.

Faith

severe ticcing is generally considered to be that which interferes with the individual's ability to function in normal daily activities, and also when tics are injurious. It relates to tics that are very frequent and intense.

as parents, it is hard for us to ever see even the slightest thing "wrong" for our kids, and so yes, we may react deeply to what someone else might consider a mild tic.

however, in terms of the actual definitions of tics....severe tics are ones that impair normal functioning and/or cause injury or potential injury

2 till 5 years of age with a host of other problems as well. The regular doctors we went to see discussed meds, home school and special education back then.

Now we just hope that the worse is behind and not ahead.

2 till 5 years of age with a host of other problems as well. The regular doctors we went to see discussed meds, home school and special education back then.

Now we just hope that the worse is behind and not ahead.

Hi Andy, Thanks for the reply. That's interesting, 2 - 5 yrs. old, i thought that was supposed to be a relatively mild time for tics - so i take it your son is doing much better now, as far as ticcing? How old is your son now? Has evrything your doing helped alot?

My son is now 8 years old. He has been doing chelation thru IV's now for around 3 years. We saw a decrease overall with the chelation, he was tested for heavy metals, yeast infection in the gut, food allegies and low in various vitamins, minerals and amino acids. We were working on the yeast, had a restricted diet and were doing supplements during his worse time of ticing and it did decrease it some but mainly what that did was regulate his behavior, cleared up his consiptation, enabled him to sleep at night. The Chelation helped drastically with the tic issue. But if his tics were not so drastic at such a young age, 24/7 with no waning period, to begin with we would not have done the IV chelations.

Thanks.

Just a couple of weeks after his 12th birthday, my son started with tics. (His bday was at the end of February)

But we started him on a multivitamin that very day, add I added mag & calcium and over a period of two weeks his ticcing calmed down a lot. He still tics but it is not as devasting as they were.

I don't know at this point if his tics are in the waning period or if they have decreased in severity b/c of the vitamins. Or does it not matter when it comes to waxing and waning?? Ugh. I'm still learning the terminology at this point. :)

Loren

Thanks.

Just a couple of weeks after his 12th birthday, my son started with tics. (His bday was at the end of February)

But we started him on a multivitamin that very day, add I added mag & calcium and over a period of two weeks his ticcing calmed down a lot. He still tics but it is not as devasting as they were.

I don't know at this point if his tics are in the waning period or if they have decreased in severity b/c of the vitamins. Or does it not matter when it comes to waxing and waning?? Ugh. I'm still learning the terminology at this point. :)

Loren

Loren,

Same with our son. We started him on bontech vitamins just days after i saw his first tic (eye blimking) in December 06. He still tics some today. Not sure if it is all allergy related, food related (going to an environmental Dr. tomorrow) or what? Also not sure how much ther vitamins are affecting him because we started supplementing right away and we are not ready to pull back on vits to see how he is.

Thanks.

I don't know at this point if his tics are in the waning period or if they have decreased in severity b/c of the vitamins. Or does it not matter when it comes to waxing and waning?? Ugh. I'm still learning the terminology at this point. :wub:

Loren

Loren,

Same with our son. We started him on bontech vitamins just days after i saw his first tic (eye blimking) in December 06. He still tics some today. Not sure if it is all allergy related, food related (going to an environmental Dr. tomorrow) or what? Also not sure how much ther vitamins are affecting him because we started supplementing right away and we are not ready to pull back on vits to see how he is.

Our son started eye blinking when he was around 6 years old just for a couple of weeks and it stopped. One year later in Feb. i believe he started again for about 2 weeks or so. Then it suddenly stopped and 2 weeks later full on neck jerks, hand wrist and leg jerks and 2 weeks after that major ocd. It turns out that he had had strep for months and we didnt know it. Never diagnosed after almost a dozen trips to the family doc. He never did a throat culture until it was too late. 9 months later after a 10 day round of clyndamycin and tonsils and adnoid removal and a strict diet, no dairy,wheat,gluten or sugar and religiously on the Yasko strep protocol to balance his system so strep can't thrive anylonger he is symptomfree completely. What ever it was that did the trick im afraid to stop. This seemed to work for our son. Dr. Yaskos theory is that once you balance your gut and body that an autoimmune response to strep or whatever can actually disappear eventually and after 6 months on her program i think that is what is happening finally with our son. Hes never looked so good and he says he feels fantastic. I know that could all change if he gets another overload of strep in his system, but im determined to try and create and environment in his gut where strep can no longer thrive like before. It loves low glutathiione and high alluminum. It holds on to alluminun supposedly.and that why it hard to get rid of and keeps returning. Were trying to get rid of the alluminum(horsetail grass and edta) and then hopefully the strep will go with it. Dr. Yasko feels that one can keep reinfecting themselves with it that the strep lives in the nasalpharnex cavity. I think that the adnoids not sure. Anyhow this seems to be working for us, hes been symptomfree since Dec 15th. I never take one day of his health for granted. By the way he was diagnosed in Sept. with Pandas. The doctor said he had the highest antigens hes ever seen on record. I think this was because it had gone so long without ever being diagnosed. It was everywhere, heavy growth in his throat, gut blood and stool. We chose not to go on prophlactic antibiotics even though they were recommended, only that 10 day round of Clyndamycin. Anyhow that is our story. He just turned 8 years in Jan. I'm hoping we can get through puberty without ever getting strep again.

Dominique

Thanks.

I don't know at this point if his tics are in the waning period or if they have decreased in severity b/c of the vitamins. Or does it not matter when it comes to waxing and waning?? Ugh. I'm still learning the terminology at this point. :wub:

Loren

Loren,

Our son started eye blinking when he was around 6 years old just for a couple of weeks and it stopped. One year later in Feb. i believe he started again for about 2 weeks or so. Then it suddenly stopped and 2 weeks later full on neck jerks, hand wrist and leg jerks and 2 weeks after that major ocd. It turns out that he had had strep for months and we didnt know it. Never diagnosed after almost a dozen trips to the family doc. He never did a throat culture until it was too late. 9 months later after a 10 day round of clyndamycin and tonsils and adnoid removal and a strict diet, no dairy,wheat,gluten or sugar and religiously on the Yasko strep protocol to balance his system so strep can't thrive anylonger he is symptomfree completely. What ever it was that did the trick im afraid to stop. This seemed to work for our son. Dr. Yaskos theory is that once you balance your gut and body that an autoimmune response to strep or whatever can actually disappear eventually and after 6 months on her program i think that is what is happening finally with our son. Hes never looked so good and he says he feels fantastic. I know that could all change if he gets another overload of strep in his system, but im determined to try and create and environment in his gut where strep can no longer thrive like before. It loves low glutathiione and high alluminum. It holds on to alluminun supposedly.and that why it hard to get rid of and keeps returning. Were trying to get rid of the alluminum(horsetail grass and edta) and then hopefully the strep will go with it. Dr. Yasko feels that one can keep reinfecting themselves with it that the strep lives in the nasalpharnex cavity. I think that the adnoids not sure. Anyhow this seems to be working for us, hes been symptomfree since Dec 15th. I never take one day of his health for granted. By the way he was diagnosed in Sept. with Pandas. The doctor said he had the highest antigens hes ever seen on record. I think this was because it had gone so long without ever being diagnosed. It was everywhere, heavy growth in his throat, gut blood and stool. We chose not to go on prophlactic antibiotics even though they were recommended, only that 10 day round of Clyndamycin. Anyhow that is our story. He just turned 8 years in Jan. I'm hoping we can get through puberty without ever getting strep again.

Dominique

That is a very encouaging story. Our sone seem to be getiing better until he got a bad bout of bronchitis 3 months ago. Since than his tics have increased? We'll keep looking.