ACN Latitudes Forums

Avoid Greek Gods Yogurt!

So angry at myself that I never checked the exact strains of bacteria in this yogurt and just found out today that it contains Streptococcus Thermophilus!!!

I've been giving this to my ds for a while now...urgh. Just googled this brand (which I buy at Whole Foods) and most people are upset that it contains pectin as an ingredient (to make it have that thick consistency I guess).

Anyway, just wanted to send this out in case others are using it too.

not to start an argument, I am sure there are people here who will tell me I am wrong-- but doesn't the streptococcus simply denote how the bacteria grows and its shape?

I know there has been a link to an article that totally refutes my opinion on this- but I wanted to mention that maybe you should not worry about it.

I have lost a lot of time and mental energy on pseudo-science trying to get my kids better. I would hate for you to throw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater, if your child enjoys this yogurt.

It HAS been an issue for my dd, and I've kept trying various yogurts (coconut or almond ones) because dd is casein free, loves yogurts, and I wanted another source of calcium.

Every single bloody time I see a reaction, as hard as it is to believe.

Lifeway brand kefir is the only one I know without strep strain (but has higher sugar content.)

Here is an excerpt from this article as it relates to the streptococcus bacteria in probiotics:

"Children with PANDAS have an abnormal immune response, and clinical judgment should determine whether probiotics with strains of streptococcus bacteria should be avoided, although this is not published in the literature. Chronic exposure to oral streptococcus-containing probiotics may be one of multiple reexposure sources."

Source: http://ndnr.com/autoimmuneallergy-medicine/pandas-an-immune-mediated-mental-illness/

powpow - I know what you mean about devoting (or losing) so much time and energy to all the research. My ds is not hooked on this yogurt so I have no problem changing it up.

Actually, for those who live in Canada, I just found a fermented yogurt, offering your choice of milk, soy, or rice, that has 50 billion L.acidophilus and L.casei in each small serving - the brand is called Bio-K Plus Probiotic. I wonder if it is at all similar to the fermented yogurt BRAVO. It certainly is expensive! $22 for 6 small bottles (98g each), perhaps putting it on the same level as BRAVO price-wise. Although, the children's dosage is 1/4 to 1/2 bottle per day.

Edited by teamtyrion

SSS: if you are casein free, where does yogurt fit in? The greek yogurt does not contain casein? Could casein be the trigger?

**I had put (almond or coconut) for almond or coconut based yogurts, which are casein free.

Not the casein, the strep strain. I could swear by it, happens every time. We've been GF/CF for 5 years with 2 trials off GF/CF,

which did not go well.