Jump to content
ACN Latitudes Forums

Strep question

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, haven't been on this site for a long while. I will keep this short (pressed for time). Ds7 (no official pandas diagnosis - his brother 10 yrs old has pandas) had strep June 12. He was put on zith for 5 days, then amox for 10 days, then another 5 days of zith - regular strength regimen for strep. He finished abx, we swabbed him, results were negative. 2 days later he develops a fever and really bad sore throat. Took him in for another swab (pending results), doc gave me another 10 days amox (regular strength). I gave him 3 doses so far but his throat is worse today than it was yesterday. Thinking he needs stronger abx or combo....has anyone here experienced this? What should I be asking for? I've scheduled an apt with Dr. T. but that doesn't happen until next Tues. Thanks.

Edited by cdnmom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We can't really recommend specifically. Many times it is based on individual child's weight...... can they swallow pills....etc....


I would ask with ds7......any Pandas issues/symptoms or just normal infection stuff...fever/sore throat?.....Which would be a good thing.....however, left untreated.....could lead,I would think, to Pandas.


I would maybe ask for longer zithromax. For us, Amox did nothing to clear the infections. We are sure of this in more than one kiddo and I recommend googling amoxicillin failure rate or something similar. Some interesting info.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...