ACN Latitudes Forums

Palilalia

DD6 is having a minor backslide at the mo. Nothing too disrupting, but more emotional - crying if someone's face shows pain or if they are upset/annoyed, mild stuttering and this whisper-repeating thing she does occasionally: she will say something and then whisper it back to herself. It seems as though she is checking out what she said. I believe it is called palilalia. Is this a PANDAS symptom too, or are the stuttering and repeating something separate?

DD had palilalia, whispering things back to herself pretty much constantly, but more so during a herx or flare. This went on for years - I didn't know that it was associated with her other Tourette's symptoms and is considered a vocal tic.

She was also empathetic to the extreme, crying with someone else's pain, or even with sad music.

With healing her palilalia has resolved, and although she is still sensitive to the feelings of others, her emotions are under better control.

DD never stuttered, although she rotated though many different motor and vocal tics. My feeling is that stuttering may be more the result of a motor coordination difficulty than a true tic. But you can ask her if she gets a promonitory feeling before she stutters that only resolves when the stuttering is performed.

Edited by rowingmom