ACN Latitudes Forums

Supplements that INCREASE dopamine levels

I started researching ways to decrease DD's dopamine levels, which are exceedingly high, and I was surprised to find that the following increases dopamine: vitamins D, B6, B12. Also Omega 3 in high doses, l-thiamine, ginkgo biloba, fava beans, pine bark, and grape seed. That explains why D3 causes my DD to rage. And when we doubled her Omega 3 dose a few years ago she became more dysregulated. B12 injections were problemsome. She also takes B6 and Methyl-B12 sublingual for MTHFR 677++, so now I must figure out whether they are adding to her regulatory issues. Then, if I eliminate them, will it affect her methylation cycle??

Has anyone else researched this? I know there are some parents who have commented that their children cannot take D3. Do they have high dopamine levels too?

Thought I would start an exploratory discussion on this topic.

Hi Nancy,

Are talking about dopamine levels that are high on a neurotransmiters test or the Cunningham Panel?

My son has both. He also has the methylation problem that you mentioned. I have slowy been adding the supplements to help with methylation. I will watch out for this problem. Wish I could be of more help but hopefully some more experienced people can share their experiences.

Yes, I am, Rachel.

However, I am not suggesting you (or anyone else) not take these supplements. I just wanted to start a conversation about this and see what others have experienced or researched on this subject. But, I would watch for any signs when introducing these supplements if your child has high dopamine levels.

Hi Nancy,

Are talking about dopamine levels that are high on a neurotransmiters test or the Cunningham Panel?

My son has both. He also has the methylation problem that you mentioned. I have slowy been adding the supplements to help with methylation. I will watch out for this problem. Wish I could be of more help but hopefully some more experienced people can share their experiences.

I don't know about dopamine specifically, but the trouble is also that some of the supplements you've mentioned also serve to increase levels of other neurotransmitters, etc. in the body, so for some of us, high dopamine may not be an issue but a supplement can still raise issues.

For instance, B12 increases histamine levels, so it was not helpful for my DS, whose histamine levels tend to run high naturally.

The balancing act continues . . . :wacko:

From testing neurotransmitters and also through Cunningham test. I've guessed for years she had high levels of dopamine and Glutamate. The tests just confirmed it.

How do you know your child has high dopamine levels? (asking out of curiosity)

Very true, MomWithOCDSon. It is a real balancing act.

I don't know about dopamine specifically, but the trouble is also that some of the supplements you've mentioned also serve to increase levels of other neurotransmitters, etc. in the body, so for some of us, high dopamine may not be an issue but a supplement can still raise issues.

For instance, B12 increases histamine levels, so it was not helpful for my DS, whose histamine levels tend to run high naturally.

The balancing act continues . . . :wacko:

Hi Nancy,

I was looking up Turmeric Curcumin and came across and interesting research article. This herb can increase serotinon and dopamine levels in the brain. It also helps with inflammation. I started using this a few days ago because I was having painful and stiff joints. It has actually helped with the pain. So I looked it up to see what else it would affect because I'm thinking about trying it with my own son. I am taking Whole Herb Turmeric Curcumin 500mg Spring Valley brand. I know there are better brands out there but I just wanted to see if it would help. Here is the research article.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2929771/

Hi Rachel,

We need to stay away from supplements that increase dopamine levels. DD's levels are already too high. I took her off curcumin and a couple other supplements for this reason.

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I was looking up Turmeric Curcumin and came across and interesting research article. This herb can increase serotinon and dopamine levels in the brain. It also helps with inflammation. I started using this a few days ago because I was having painful and stiff joints. It has actually helped with the pain. So I looked it up to see what else it would affect because I'm thinking about trying it with my own son. I am taking Whole Herb Turmeric Curcumin 500mg Spring Valley brand. I know there are better brands out there but I just wanted to see if it would help. Here is the research article.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2929771/

Sorry Nancy. I thought you wanted to increase the levels. There are some foods that will raise dopamine levels. You might try avoiding them and see it that makes a difference. I can't remember all of them but the list is online

I'm pretty certain my ds has high dopamine levels. I'm frustrated to hear about the turmeric; however, my understanding is that turmeric increases BOTH dopamine and serotonin and can in fact act as a regulator (which is really what is needed with that whole dopamine/serotonin balance). So, I was thinking it might be a good thing.

Nancy - is your removing turmeric a result of an actual behavioural response to it?

I guess I could just try it on my son and see how it goes. So far, nothing has ever worked. Over a year and counting and NOTHING has ever worked well on my son; well, except for maybe magnesium (and I'm not even sure of that!). I can't understand how chemar has this huge list of things that worked on her son, and every single thing I try seems to create an adverse effect.

We're already careful about this. Other than occasional dark chocolate no foods that boost dopamine levels.

Sorry Nancy. I thought you wanted to increase the levels. There are some foods that will raise dopamine levels. You might try avoiding them and see it that makes a difference. I can't remember all of them but the list is online

Teamtyrion, three reasons why we removed it: (1) we need to stay away from anything that could potentially increase dopamine levels; (2) based on DD's ++ mutations it is recommended she avoid it; and (3) it was not helping at all. Cannot say it specifically contributed to her behavioral issues.

Like you, almost everything affects my DD adversely. She is very sensitive. Have you tried running the Nutrahacker report through 23andMe? I found it very helpful as to what to avoid and what to try.

I'm pretty certain my ds has high dopamine levels. I'm frustrated to hear about the turmeric; however, my understanding is that turmeric increases BOTH dopamine and serotonin and can in fact act as a regulator (which is really what is needed with that whole dopamine/serotonin balance). So, I was thinking it might be a good thing.

Nancy - is your removing turmeric a result of an actual behavioural response to it?

I guess I could just try it on my son and see how it goes. So far, nothing has ever worked. Over a year and counting and NOTHING has ever worked well on my son; well, except for maybe magnesium (and I'm not even sure of that!). I can't understand how chemar has this huge list of things that worked on her son, and every single thing I try seems to create an adverse effect.

Edited by NancyD

Hi Nancy,

I have been doing some research on autoimmune movement disorders. I know tht high levels of D1, D2, and Cam Kinese are part of this problem. I have also found out that L-Theanine, fish oil, and Phoshatidylserine can increase Dopamine levels. However, I ran across an article that suggest certain herbs that will raise serotinon levels but lower dopamine levels. I stay away from herbs because they seem to lower my son's blood pressures too much. So I just can't take chances here because I have had a few bad experiences in this area.

A year ago I started keeping a supplement Journal. I write down any supplement or vitamins, or medications that I start and list any side affects. I went back to check the journal. I had already tried the Tumeric and had to stop it after three days because it made my son's vocal tics go wild.

Here is the article. Hope it helps.

http://serotonintimes.com/2013/03/29/herbs-that-lower-dopamine-levels/