ACN Latitudes Forums

Does hot weather affect Lyme and co?

I know hot baths and saunas are good for getting the little buggers out into the bloodstream to kill them, but what about hot weather? I ask b/c lately it's been hot here (30 to 33C) and humid, and whenever DS goes out for a bit in the heat, he gets WAAAAAY worse in terms of tics and mood. Today we were out for a bit for Canada Day, and it was about 32C, and he just kind of exploded tic-wise. Now that we are back home in the A/C, he has totally calmed down.

Hot weather used to effect DD as well, but she seems fine - loving it even, this year.

I suppose there could be several reasons for the reactions you are seeing. My guesses:

1) the heat is acting like a fever would, and killing bacteria. Lyme and co don't survive well in the heat, one reason why infected people generally have a lower average body temperature. The bacteria manipulate the body in such a way that temps are not detrimental to the infection. Many of our children do not run regular fevers with infection, so this fever response and perhaps normal body temperatures are not operating properly.

2) heat is inflammatory and will increase the severity of any inflammation already present, thus an increase in inflammatory symptoms.

With DD I have always associated ticcing with toxin buildup, the behavioural changes with inflammation, so perhaps a little of both in your situation.

Edited by rowingmom