ACN Latitudes Forums

Food allergy question

Hi, in recent posts, I have shared that my ds is allergic to gluten, casein, whey, and every aspect of eggs. I have him on a elimination diet that really has yielded some nice results.

Two days in a row, my ds ate something that he was not supposed too...doughnuts by a friends house and then a big Snyder's pretzel the next day.

Question: How long do you think it will take to leave his system? Also, do you think that even one doughnut can throw all that I have achieved out the window?

I am aware that even trace amounts can have an effect, but I am hoping that given that the rest of his diet on those 2 days were very clean will be enough to counteract some of the effects.

I have told all his friends mothers they are not allowed to feed my children anything. Nothing. Water. That's it.

Q

I don't pretend to really understand how it all works, but I can tell you that the best year (dare I say "normal") we had since this all started with our DD was the year we altered her diet to eliminate/reduce corn AND treated her allergy with sublingual drops daily. Her drops were targeting a variety of common environmental allergens as well, based upon mild reactions in testing. Additionally, she would call me from school some days if she felt increased anxiety. I would bring in her drops and she would feel better. The allergy clinic we used was not covered by our insurance (for ANY medical purpose) because they treated with sublingual drops routinely. People came from far and wide for this type of treatment, but the "establishment" does not support this approach.

I can't tell you if this could have been the end of PANDAS/PANS for DD because, in her "normalcy" we dropped the ball and slowly went back to "normal" eating and stopped the drops. When illness returned, she was unable to use the drops. We were off on other paths for recovery... and still searching, but back to diet changes and things are looking up. :)

Hey I'm not saying it'll take weeks, just giving you the party line ;-). (technically)

Yeah, it's hard I imagine at that age/ peer pressure/ you're not there-

maybe he can pack fun snacks to take with him he doesn't normally get (Udi's muffins, GF/CF pretzels)

and say he has allergies / gets sick if he doesn't stick to it?

We are attempting a long day trip out tomorrow on a boat that serves food-

I dread all the food take along packing.

One thing that keeps me strict about it 100%

the cost! Hey, I'm shelling out big time on my grocery bill,

not worth blowing it.

Following this thread... did you note any reaction after the 2 days of slipping? My DS has bright red cheeks again and worsening behavior alongside and I can't figure it out! I think gluten? dairy? eeeek infection? Such fine tuning is exhausting!

YES! About 24 hours later, he turned into a snotty, edgy, disrespectful crab....UGh. However, 3 clean diet days later, "My love child returned!!" No edge, patient, no tones...I have to be careful to remember though that he is still 8 and is a boy, so............

As for as your red cheeks, did you check Sasyclites? I misspelled it. The red cheeks are the main symptom for Sacylite issues. I believe there is a dietary enzmyme that works well. LLM knows the name. My ds came back sensitive to those as well, but I do think that over the last year, it is less of a problem for him because in the past, "YOW" those cheeks and ears would flame!!!

I tried testing at home and watching for reactions but that was fairly early on -- when we were still adjusting to gluten/dairy free. I'll try again because you could be right! But I found at least the behavior issue-- he ate ice cream at a friends house. Has to be related. Such dramatic ups and downs!

Hi Momslove,

Just out of curiosity, why is your dd no longer able to tolerate sublingual drops? My ds goes through bad pollen allergies - tree, grass and ragweed (our whole late spring to early autumn is affected) and I am considering subligual drops if I can find someone here in southern Ontario. Right now we do muscle testing (biofeedback) to help with the allergies but not sure how effective this is.

Thanks.

Teamtyrion--When DD suffered another relapse, she had "issues" with so many things... One difficulty she had was plastic--she could not eat or be near anything that she thought had touched plastic. The bottle of drops was glass, but the pump was plastic. Also, she had great difficulty with anything she considered chemical and this included her drops.

We went to a place in LaCrosse WI which, I think, developed the "LaCrosse Method" of sublingual immunotherapy. They were very good, but the last time we went, we saw the wrong guy... Unfortunately got into discussion about reality of PANDAS... That doctor is no longer there. :)

We would not rule out going there again, but right now treating Lyme and Bart and strep. Also doing our best with diet change...

I think Doris Rapp is an interesting read--"Is This Your Child?". This is what led us to treat allergy before we even knew about PANDAS.

Here at joybops house for long weekend. She is a doll. So is her husband. Her pandas 8 ds is doing amazing.

We see greenblatt today. My ODD food allergy son...almost 4 wks gluten/dairy/egg free...joybop does not see one trait that I have described. He is truly a different child. Amazing...now..just need to see what greenblatts approach is for the adhd...he also claims food allergy a part of picture