ACN Latitudes Forums

Barking/neighing

Please pardon me if I am asking a repetitive question. I think I read this somewhere about a pANDAS child or two but couldn't find it here.

My 4yo dd who has had a staph infection in her throat within the past month i(and has had stmptoms of fear/clinginess/whininess) is scooting around on the floor constantly and barking/neighing, etc. I have been thinking this was just her being four and into pretend life.

But over the past couple of days we went out of town to see my mom who basically asked me what was going on with her--she said it seems like she has a motor going inside her all the time.

I guess that is true, but I had been so happy not to see her as clingy and whiny or afraid, that I hadn't really thought too much of it. We came home today, and my husband,who hadn't seen her for a couple of days, asked me if she had eaten something that she shouldn't have because she was wound really tight.

Even though correcting her/asking her to get off the floor/stop doing that has not really stopped it, I haven't been looking at it as an OCD thing. She seems perfectly happy doing it and not stressed or disabled by it. But we are def a PANDAS family with a seriously affected dd12, less so but still affected ds8, and I have seen pANDAS symptoms in her (dd4).

Think this is a symptom that tells me she's not over this latest episode?

While I know it's not wise to treat based on what worked for another kid on ther internet...this story does remind me of another pandas kiddo who I think was constantly barking. It turned out the kid had a staph infection in her nose, and Bactrim cleared up the barking.

I know Bactrim doesn't work for everyone -- my kid had a terrible reaction to it, twice --,but passing along fwiw

If she is still doing the behaviors, no, she is not over the episode. That does not mean that the infection has not cleared...remember, it can take several weeks for the inflammation to go down even after infection has cleared. I would still do a re-check to make sure the infection is gone...

My kiddo had a high pitched barking going on for about 9 months several years prior to a PANDAS dx. Retrospectively it was a vocal tic. I took her to her normal neuro who of course did nothing and recommended nothing at that time. I was not familiar with the concept of vocal tics and I thought she stop if she wanted to, but again, retrospectively, I do not believe she could.