ACN Latitudes Forums

Hypothyroidism

Hi Philamom,

Armour Thyroid should be taken once a day ... an hour before breakfast. I started out at 15 mg / day and my DD18 started out at 7.5 mg / day. Starting out at 30 mg sounds high. You will have to check levels in 4-6 weeks.

Nancy

Went to our local DO and he prescribed the Armour. I still need to pick it up from pharmacy. The strength was 30. Does that sound about right for a soon to be 13 yr old? He mentioned taking it once a day in morning hours, but I thought i read somewhere that it should be twice a day- that the T3 portion doesn't absorb as easily. How are you guys taking it? And does the strength sound right?

Thx!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Philamom,

Armour Thyroid should be taken once a day ... an hour before breakfast. I started out at 15 mg / day and my DD18 started out at 7.5 mg / day. Starting out at 30 mg sounds high. You will have to check levels in 4-6 weeks.

Nancy

Went to our local DO and he prescribed the Armour. I still need to pick it up from pharmacy. The strength was 30. Does that sound about right for a soon to be 13 yr old? He mentioned taking it once a day in morning hours, but I thought i read somewhere that it should be twice a day- that the T3 portion doesn't absorb as easily. How are you guys taking it? And does the strength sound right?

Thx!

Nancy- do you cut the 15mg pill in half for your daughter?

Yes, I do, philamom.

Hi Philamom,

Nancy

Thx!

We had a hard time just getting a schedule at childrens hispital. Appearently they have a screening process and don't even schedule a child unless the case meets a certain criteria. We finally got our approved referral (took two weeks) over to childrens hospital to see an Encrinologist. They initially scheduled us for September even with DD's mom doing her best to put an urgent stamp on things. I followed up the call to ask the procedure for priority scheduling and they said there is a doctors number and to get DD's PCP to call it in. I did and it was moved up by two months so now its a 4 week of waiting.

Does anyone know how often are the blood test taken?

TSH 2.65
FT3 5.44
FT4 1.06
FT3+FT4 1.60
ANTI-TG 131 <40
ANTI-TPO 89.4 < 35

4nikki- from what I've been researching (briefly) and from what our local DO mentioned, most endocrinologists wont treat if TSH is in normal range, which is way too high. Many feel TSH should be under 2.0. Immunologist has us running labs again in 4-5 weeks.

Let me know how you make out at your appt.

DD's DO and the ER Dr. said her numbers don't make sence because the 'Anti' stuff is way elevated with the TSH in the normal range. The DO said that dosn't happen with Thyroid patients. Dr. T said this is why Hasimoto's Encephopathy suspected. Every Dr. except for her first PCP is quick out the gate with DD's condition because they all know it's pathological however we still haven't found one that can finish the race, including Dr. T now fails to respond to simple emails whereas before, his responses were within a few hours. I want to give him the benifet of doubt, but that only goes so far with me.

Yes, I do, philamom.

Hi Philamom,

Nancy

Thx!

Nancy- how long has your daughter been on the 7.5 dose and do you think you'll need to increase it?

Philamom, she's been at 7.5 for ~ 3 months and her levels look good so no reason to increase. If they drop then we'll increase. I started at 15 mg a few years ago and after a while I went down to 7.5 but then my levels dropped so I went back up

to 15. Then a few months ago my levels dropped again and I went up to 30 mg.

Nancy- how long has your daughter been on the 7.5 dose and do you think you'll need to increase it?

DD's DO and the ER Dr. said her numbers don't make sence because the 'Anti' stuff is way elevated with the TSH in the normal range. The DO said that dosn't happen with Thyroid patients. Dr. T said this is why Hasimoto's Encephopathy suspected. Every Dr. except for her first PCP is quick out the gate with DD's condition because they all know it's pathological however we still haven't found one that can finish the race, including Dr. T now fails to respond to simple emails whereas before, his responses were within a few hours. I want to give him the benifet of doubt, but that only goes so far with me.

I sent you a pm!