ACN Latitudes Forums

Hypothyroidism

Had labs drawn after 5 weeks of DD being on Armour thyroid 7.5 mg. It appears her labs have gotten worse, except for the thyroid antibody, which has dropped some. Do you feel I should give it more time or increase the dosage? thoughts?

Thyroxine T4 : 4.2 L, now 3.9 L

Thyroxine (T4) direct: 0.74 L, now 0.69 L

Thryoglobulin: 20.6 H, now 15.6 H

Triiodothyronine Free: 4.2 normal, now 5.2 H

Triiodothyronine (T3): 191 H

TSH: 2.570, now 0.836 (both normal)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philamom, she's been at 7.5 for ~ 3 months and her levels look good so no reason to increase. If they drop then we'll increase. I started at 15 mg a few years ago and after a while I went down to 7.5 but then my levels dropped so I went back up

to 15. Then a few months ago my levels dropped again and I went up to 30 mg.

Nancy- how long has your daughter been on the 7.5 dose and do you think you'll need to increase it?

Nancy- is it typical for T3 to go up (high range now - was in normal range) after starting Armour Thyroid? T4 is still low. Thanks

*new lab results in above post

Edited by philamom

Is she definitely taking Amour Thyroid and not the generic, levothyroxine? Does she have an increase in symptoms? See

http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroiddrugstreatments/a/overmedicated.htm.

I don't know the answer to your question. I would check with you doctor on this.

Philamom, she's been at 7.5 for ~ 3 months and her levels look good so no reason to increase. If they drop then we'll increase. I started at 15 mg a few years ago and after a while I went down to 7.5 but then my levels dropped so I went back up

to 15. Then a few months ago my levels dropped again and I went up to 30 mg.

Nancy- how long has your daughter been on the 7.5 dose and do you think you'll need to increase it?

Nancy- is it typical for T3 to go up (high range now - was in normal range) after starting Armour Thyroid? T4 is still low. Thanks

*new lab results in above post

30mg is a low dose. My son did synthroid for over a year and recently his thyroid numbers increased to 8.1! Right before that I wanted to switch to Armour for insurance purposes so we did a switch. Sleep issues disappeared and ocd is receding. My son has been on both and, as far as I can tell, only good body support has been the side effect (until synthroid quit working for him).

Thank you for the link Nancy! Yes, she is on Armour Thyroid 7.5mg, not the generic. I have an appointment tomorrow with local doc. Will see what he says, maybe its a good thing. I just didn't realize you could be low and high at the same time. Haven't seen any negative effects. Not sure it its working either though.

30mg is a low dose. My son did synthroid for over a year and recently his thyroid numbers increased to 8.1! Right before that I wanted to switch to Armour for insurance purposes so we did a switch. Sleep issues disappeared and ocd is receding. My son has been on both and, as far as I can tell, only good body support has been the side effect (until synthroid quit working for him).

So he did better on Armour? -not sure how the triple post happened :) Edited by philamom