ACN Latitudes Forums

DS is trying to bite everything/one - flare? herx from Biocidin?

In the last week, DS has developed an alarming tic where he tries to bite something/someone. He hasn't bitten anyone yet, but he does bite himself (on the fingers, on the knee) and things like blanket, stuffed animals, toothbrush.

I'm wondering if this could be a herx reaction from the Biocidin he is taking or a flare up b/c of a recent virus. He started on May 20 with one drop 2x a day...then increase by one drop a day up until 5 drops 2x a day, on the advice of our naturopath. Then May 29 he picked up a cough/cold from his sister that lasted about a week. Around the same time, this biting thing started. The cough is better now, the biting is getting worse.

What I'm asking is, basically, what does a herx look like? Does everything just get really worse and more severe?

We've cut back on the biocidin to one drop a day, starting today. Giving epsom salt baths and lime/lemon water.

Is he on prophylactic abx? Did you take him to the dr. when he had the cough and cold? I just wonder if it is some kind of infection that is still active and causing his system to overload. Have you noticed an increase of any other pandas symptoms such as increased anxiety, fidgetyness, lack of attention, unable to concentrate, unable to sleep, urinary issues, etc....? The reason I ask is if my son has a flair i notice immediate increase in many symptoms he has tics so they definitely get worse, but I also notice hyperactivity, increased anxiety and more.

Hi missmom. No, he is not on abx right now, just the Biocidin. I took him for a throat swab when he had the cough and it was negative. The cough/cold seemed to get better on its own over a few days. DS' only symptom really, is the tics. He has never had the other PANDAS/PANS symptoms, although he is certainly more anxious now that he can't stop this biting thing. But not beforehand, there wasn't any increased anxiety or other issues.

Hi -- can't speak to the flare question, but my son has also had some strange and bizarre biting episodes. Doesn't happen all the time, but more than it should. There was one this weekend and I made a list for my own records of each episode, what triggered it etc so I cld ascertain patterns etc. happy to discuss it more off forum

A herx is usually an increase of existing symptoms, although you may also find new symptoms popping up. The only way to tell if it is a herx is to decrease dosage, as you have done, and increase detoxing.

If symptoms resolve it was a herx; if symptoms continue to escalate you are having a relapse.

If, as you think, this is a new tic, that's entirely possible - tics do morph. If he is biting out of anger he may be dealing with increased brain inflammation and anti-inflammatories may help. We use OrangeNaturals (Canadian made) turmeric tincture as well as Meriva turmeric and Japanese knotweed.

For DD ticcing is related to bartonella toxins produced by antimicrobial induced die-off as well as yeast/mold toxins (this includes internal candida yeast). Oregano oil is broadly antimicrobial so it could be impacting the gut flora. Make sure you are giving sufficient probiotics.

Biocidin looks like a good product. I will have to investigate as we are taking many of those herbs individually. I would only be leery of the white willow for children.

Edited by rowingmom

Thanks for your insights, rowingmom.

After reducing the Biocidin to one drop a day for the past 5 days, he seemed to start to get a bit better, but today (Saturday) was a lot worse. I find weekends, with lots of "nothing" to do, he is quite a bit worse. No focus, just a lazy day hanging around. During dinner, he also has this tic of banging his cutlery on a bowl or glass. If we take away the glass, he'll follow it and continue banging until it's out of his system. I know it's a tic and not an obsession/compulsion b/c his face is contorted when he does it, so it's motor thing. Absolutely bizarre, but I suppose nothing should surprise me anymore.

Feeling very disheartened and wish our test results come back soon from Igenex. :(

Occasionally, kiddo bangs/scrapes her spoon on whatever flatware she has as if trying to get the last drop. I have found taking her metal spoon, but giving her a plastic spoon for these occasions helps to keep us both sane. I can only tackle so many battles at one time, and this one is low on my list of priorities.