ACN Latitudes Forums

Need suggestions on getting meds down

We just switched dd to minocycline, and I'm having trouble getting it into her. Getting it compounded was cost prohibitive, and she won't swallow pills. Since she doesn't eat (anything) I can't mix it into food. My only idea so far has been to open the capsule and mix it into a tiny bit of water and give it to her in the medicine dropper (like I give the other meds to her). I have no doubt that it tastes terrible! She drinks Boost, but I don't want to risk altering that at all, since it's what she lives off of and I can't take a chance of her rejecting it, or suspecting that I'm trying to sneak something in, or trick her in any way... She's had it 2x this way, and really complained and got upset about it and I suspect is going to be more and more resistant to it each time...

Any ideas? Maybe if I diluted it in a full cup of juice it wouldn't be bad, but then I'd have to count on her drinking all of it.... And if it tastes "off" than she probably wouldn't drink it all. (This was why I tried the tiny bit of water, thinking that at least it was "quick" and over with).

I have been against hiding meds in foods ( doctors have suggested). We have had eating issues- so couldn't go down that road.

My kids learned to swallow young w/ probiotic pearls. If fear of choking- may not work.

I guess I would do the medicine dropper route.

Meds, IMHO have to be where you hold the line.

Good luck- it's not easy!

Yes, meds aren't negotiable :( She understands that, but doesn't mean she's going to be happy about it..... And she is terrified of choking, which is why she doesn't eat. She won't even lick her lips, let alone swallow a pill.

Edited by beerae22

Please be careful opening up a minocycline or doxycycline capsule and mixing them-

these 2 particular antibiotics can burn going down out of the capsule.

I think you are going to have it compounded into a liquid- perhaps if treating Dr.

writes 'MUST' or something on the script, insurance might cover it?

Dr already checked into it, and it's not going to work :( he knows that this is how we're doing it, and didn't mention any "burning"? She didn't like the taste, but didn't seem to have a problem with any sensations from it that I know of. Hopefully that won't be an issue

They do make a cup that supposedly makes learning to take pills easier. It places the pill inside a spot on the cup and when you take a drink, the pill and the liquid go down. There are several kinds, so here is a link to several kinds on amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pill%20swallowing%20cup

Edited by mayzoo

You might be able to get something like Syrpalta. It is a strong, sugary, flavored liquid we used for compounding. It is rarely used straight, it is frequently diluted 50/50 with water. Where I am at, it is still available and does not require a script, but check with your doc to see if that is appropriate for your kiddo and this medication.

It would be a strong flavoring option that could better mask the flavor of the abx.

When I first posted, I thought she was just not able to swallow pills yet. Then I reread and realized it was more than that. I keep a bottle of Syrpalta around here just in case.

Kiddo can now swallow horse pills, but in a super, severe flare, I have to force everything down with a 60cc syringe. Water, pudding, slim fast, meds, **everything**. It is the only way I can keep her out of the hospital for dehydration. She will not self take anything by mouth.

I have grape flavor, but when I called my pharmacy they only showed cherry. Who knows what you will have access to. I had to spell it for my pharmacy and explain to them what it was, odds are, you will have to do so also. If you have to tell them what it is, just them "it is a flavored syrup used for compounding liquid meds." It is somewhat like a stronger than normal simple syrup with flavoring added.

Edited by mayzoo

is it an option to get abx in liquid dose as in for little kids?

our ds is 47 pounds and we finding abx pills for him is hard.

They usually do not use doxycycline or minocycline for little kids due to the risk of staining permanent teeth. I do not remember ever seeing it in liquid, but it has been a while.

Edited by mayzoo

Mino doesn't come in liquid form, unless you have it compounded. Not sure, but I think doxy is the same- and doxy has higher instance of nausea and sun exposure issues, so Mino is preferred. Mino is usually only prescribed for 8years and up. I wonder if I should maybe try a concentrated grape juice or something like that? Probably just as useful as syrup.... Still going to taste like "rear end" as her doc would say! ;) but we'll try to figure something out!

Mino doesn't come in liquid form, unless you have it compounded. Not sure, but I think doxy is the same- and doxy has higher instance of nausea and sun exposure issues, so Mino is preferred. Mino is usually only prescribed for 8years and up. I wonder if I should maybe try a concentrated grape juice or something like that? Probably just as useful as syrup.... Still going to taste like "rear end" as her doc would say! ;) but we'll try to figure something out!

Cephalasporin powder, ie opening a capsule, smells like a sewer :unsure: . Keflex, Omnicef, etc.......

Call a compounding pharmacy and ask if they will sell you a small amount of flavoring. It is VERY potent flavoring liquid. Then you can experiment on your own with a few different flavors mixed into a simple syrup (canning term if you are not familiar with it you can google it).

If I recall correctly, normal dilution is 4-6 drops in 8 oz of liquid was enough for a pleasant taste change. If you intend to put this in simple syrup, I would double or triple the amount of drops (IE 2-3 drops in 2 oz simple syrup) because you will be further diluting the concoction.

You may be able to use hard candy flavorings but I have no idea how potent those are comparatively: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=flavoring+extracts&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aflavoring+extracts .

Edited by mayzoo

We used the cup and it worked. It's a big of a pain because sometimes the pills get stuck. I would use juice. I think we may have gotten pre auth for the compounded rifampin before we switched to the cup, but I cant entirely recall. After a few weeks of using the cup dd switched to swallowing pills without it. You can always fix the teeth further down the road . I think doxy is preferred to mino for kids

Edited by hopeny