ACN Latitudes Forums

Staph infection in throat

I posted last week about my 4 year old being sick--negative strep test but warm to me, suddenly afraid to go into another room alone, clingy whiny, 2 pandas sibs. So I got a letter in the mail yesterday telling me the results of the culture. She has a staph infection.

I have looked around a little bit, and there seems to be a question about whether or not staph could trigger PANDAS flares. But I thought I had read that it could before. And I have no doubt that it can as dd; had clear PANDAS symptoms just like when her sister (12) was this age.

The nurse practitioner we saw was very concerned....mainly that the only way that she thought this could have happened was through sexual abuse. I know that this is not the case because she is never alone, and she doesn't go out anywhere because we homeschool. i also know that our kids have issues like crazy infections that surprise doctors.

Any thoughts on treatment or expericed with staph as trigger?

Btw, my somewhat stabilized pandas dd12 is now much less stable, and my dd17 is sick with a fever today (she is not diAgnosed with pandas). My ds8 seems fairly stable.

Here are some abx recommendations:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/staphylococcus/page6_em.htm#staph_infection_treatment

You may want to have her nose/sinuses cultured as well. This may have started there, and invaded the throat from there through drainage etc..... Staph in the nose/sinuses is not common, but also not unheard of.

I know you do not want to hear this, but now may be a good time to test her IgG, IgA, IgM, and IgEs as she may be immune compromised as well. As I recall, Staph is more common if the person is immune compromised :(.

BTW, you pm box is full, and I have a pm ready about Buhner's books for ya.