ACN Latitudes Forums

Rollercoaster !

itsme

Hi everyone, I've never "posted" before so please bear with me. Our son developed eye blinking tic 4 months ago. I have had ts since i was around 10, so I knew what it was when it showed up. I tried Bontech supplements for myself before (without success) so I ordered them as soon as I saw this with my boy. Initially, his symptoms got worse. Than after about a month they got quite a bit better. Than, he developed a bad case of bronchitis (end of January) and he was on an antibiotic for 10 days. Afetr that his tics seemed much improved. However, (of course - this is never easy) he than got worse. A few days after the bad bout with bronchitis he developed, what seems to be a breathing problem - he can't seem to get enough air in his lungs. He'll take a deep breath , he does it more when at rest (like driving in the car or in bed at night). He also runs out of breath easily when he runs. I don't belive the breath thing is a tic, but not positive. We gave him Prednisone for 4 days on March 26 that ended (which breaks down the immune system!! - I don't know for how long it weakens the immune??) and are currently giving him albuteral for his breathing. We also just took him to the allergist and found out he is allergic to certain grasses and trees. He has had incresed ticcing over the past week and a half. Quite confused at this point - especially since we believed (and are still hoping) the vitamins work. I know there is alot here, but if anyone has any suggestions, answers, help etc.... I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Glad that you finally joined in. So sorry for your difficulties. It does sound very hard to figure out. I have two children with asthma and it does seem a bit strange that he would seem out of breath when at rest, although allergies could trigger this. When you say that he can't catch his breath, do you hear any wheezing, or are you visualizing this, or going by what your child is telling you? It could be that he is having a bit of anxiety which causes a change in breathing pattern and before you know it they have somewhat hyperventilated and it feels as though they can't get enough air. My oldest son who has OCD did this a couple of times and I did not even recognize it as hyperventilating, he truly thought he was dying. On the other hand, if you hear wheezing on expiration or see his abdomen pulling in with inspiration that is more a sign of something physiologic. Any time my son has some physiologic stressor his tic will come back for a short time and then fade away as he gets better. I would definately try to evaluate this breathing issue and determine if it is anxiety, or a tic, or physiologic. If you can not determine as a parent on your own, then your peditrician should be able to do some simple pulmonary function tests on him to help you out. It is very painless, all he has to do is breath into some machines and they can tell the level of funtioning of the lungs and decide if they are completely healthy or asthmatic or something else. Good luck and let us know how your son does.

Dedee

Glad that you finally joined in. So sorry for your difficulties. It does sound very hard to figure out. I have two children with asthma and it does seem a bit strange that he would seem out of breath when at rest, although allergies could trigger this. When you say that he can't catch his breath, do you hear any wheezing, or are you visualizing this, or going by what your child is telling you? It could be that he is having a bit of anxiety which causes a change in breathing pattern and before you know it they have somewhat hyperventilated and it feels as though they can't get enough air. My oldest son who has OCD did this a couple of times and I did not even recognize it as hyperventilating, he truly thought he was dying. On the other hand, if you hear wheezing on expiration or see his abdomen pulling in with inspiration that is more a sign of something physiologic. Any time my son has some physiologic stressor his tic will come back for a short time and then fade away as he gets better. I would definately try to evaluate this breathing issue and determine if it is anxiety, or a tic, or physiologic. If you can not determine as a parent on your own, then your peditrician should be able to do some simple pulmonary function tests on him to help you out. It is very painless, all he has to do is breath into some machines and they can tell the level of funtioning of the lungs and decide if they are completely healthy or asthmatic or something else. Good luck and let us know how your son does.

Dedee

Thank you so much for the quick response.... I too believe that this breathing thing is a stressor on the body which is causing more tics. However it could be the other way around - that is the tics are causing the anxiety and thus the breathing problem. He has however complained of not getting enough air when he is running and this is a kid that could go all day until recently. also do you know if the clarinex (allergy medicine) may cause tics. Do you know of anything else to help improve tics?? I really did (and still do to some degree) feel that the vitamins are going to help??

Thank you.

hi itsme

prednisone, being a steroid, would most likely be a tic trigger

a lot of parents here are reporting good results with the Natural Calm magnesium powders

as magnesium is known to be deficient in TS your son may benefit from this

are u already using BonTech magnesium taurate?

my son is also suffering with seasonal allergies this year (first time ever) and altho the doc prescribed Flonase and Claritin, my son doesnt want to use them for fear of a tic triggering reaction

he is using a saline nasal spray and Bach's rescue rememdy, which seems to soothe his allergy symptoms and we are using the hepa filters plus running the airconditioning 24/7 (we are in Florida)

all this is helping and 2 days ago he went for acupuncture which really made a BIG difference in the allergy symptoms in his sinuses

itsme,

Thamks for responding :)

I think the tics did increase with use of prednisone.

I'm curious about how many people see an increase or decrease with the use of steroids, specifically with regards to PITANDS.

http://www.webpediatrics.com/pandas.html

PITANDS

4) There must be evidence of an antecedent or concomitant infection. Such evidence might include a positive throat culture, positive streptococcal serologic findings (e.g. anti-streptolysin O or anti-streptococcal DNAse B), or a history of illness (e.g. pharyngitis, sinusitis, infection with Epstein-Barr virus, influenza, ?recurrent otitis media), and possibly recent exposure to childhood vaccination.

(7) Measurable clinical improvement following "Steroid Burst".

If tics increase with illness, and you see improvement with a steroid, is it due to a reduction in inflammation or due to immune suppression?

You said that you thought you saw an increase, and there sure is a case for that.

I'm just hoping everyone keeps an eye out for improvement too.

I wanted to include a site that I ran across while searching for info on Benzoate.

I think I read a parents letter about her childs asthma increasing with the use of amox. and she talks about some of the things in the medication that were irritating her child.

We have a parent here, Jeff, that posts quite frequently about the improvements that he and his daughters have seen following Feingold, and recently PetB's posts regarding harmful things in the diet. I just thought you guys might be interested in reading some of these, since so many were in regards to asthma.

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/sto...toryasthma1.htm

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/stories/story1.htm

I'm sorry if this is confusing. I'm trying to work,type...listen as others are talking to me. Probably not a good time to post, but at least I'm not half asleep!

Hi itsme,

I was wondering how old your son is? Just checking the ages of onset, and explosive tic ages. My son had some kind of deep breathing tic, but strange thing about it he would only do it while we were having our family prayer time. It was like reading prayers or praying out loud would set it off. He has not done that in a long time, and he is such a good reader, he tells me his teachers call on him all the time to read out loud to the class. What ever that was is gone now. So hopefully that will come and go soon.

I was also wondering if you have a diet plan for yourself? If yes has it helped your TS? My husband has TS too, and he has never changed his diet, and the tics he has are just about nothing. Could you tell us how you have out-grown your TS, or are they still present?

C.P.

Hi itsme,

You mentioned that you have TS since a child? If you don't mind, may I ask what your symptoms were/are? Were they always mild or no? Just like to put together a picture, and I too, am curious if there are clues as to how this will run its course.

I am the mom of an 8 yr. old boy with tics, but just to mention, since your post reminded me of something about myself as a kid (I don't believe I fall in category of TS, but think I had a few twitches as an adolescent. And I do remember doing exactly what you are describing about the breath thing. I think I was about 10 or so, and I felt like I couldn't take a big enough breath to fill my lungs and feel satisfied. I distinctly remember going to the doctor about it, and well, in those days they didn't make too much of anything. But it did go away eventually. I can't say if that was a tic for me or not, but maybe, we just didn't know about that stuff then.

I don't know if I am so good on advice, but I would of course go through the route of seeking medical help and advice to make sure nothing is definitively wrong concerning his health, and then keep reading and you will find things to do one by one.

Good luck and welcome

Faith

hi itsme

prednisone, being a steroid, would most likely be a tic trigger

a lot of parents here are reporting good results with the Natural Calm magnesium powders

as magnesium is known to be deficient in TS your son may benefit from this

are u already using BonTech magnesium taurate?

my son is also suffering with seasonal allergies this year (first time ever) and altho the doc prescribed Flonase and Claritin, my son doesnt want to use them for fear of a tic triggering reaction

he is using a saline nasal spray and Bach's rescue rememdy, which seems to soothe his allergy symptoms and we are using the hepa filters plus running the airconditioning 24/7 (we are in Florida)

all this is helping and 2 days ago he went for acupuncture which really made a BIG difference in the allergy symptoms in his sinuses

Hi Chemar, Thanks for the response. We are using Bontech vitamins - on her web site I've read so many positive tetimonies about the vitamins. It's frustrating because we thought the vitamins were helping a couple months ago, then he got bronchitis. Since than his tics have been moderate. Before that we believed his tics were getting milder due to the vitamins. If you don't mind - how are your son's tics, mild, moderate, severe?

Thanks again.

Hi itsme

my son used to have extremely severe TS...where tics were debilitating and once required hospitalization

I found Bonnie's original program, long before she started BonTech and I formulated a supplement plan to suit my son, based on what she was using. (I had guidance from an Integrative doctor)

It worked real quickly and my son's tics became mild.

that was 7 years ago

He is 17 now and still takes a basic group of supps (multi, cal/mag/zinc/taurine, flaxseed oil, liquid B co, and a few others)

We still have occasional waxing of his TS, but it is nowhere near what it was when he was 10/11 yo

the very worst his tics ever were was when we had him on prescription meds for a year!

if you are interested you can read what I did to help him, here is the thread in which I document it

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=687

~Cheri~

Dedee

Thanks Dedee, I so much appreciate your input and this forum. I will definitely let you know how my son does.

Hi itsme,

You mentioned that you have TS since a child? If you don't mind, may I ask what your symptoms were/are? Were they always mild or no? Just like to put together a picture, and I too, am curious if there are clues as to how this will run its course.

I am the mom of an 8 yr. old boy with tics, but just to mention, since your post reminded me of something about myself as a kid (I don't believe I fall in category of TS, but think I had a few twitches as an adolescent. And I do remember doing exactly what you are describing about the breath thing. I think I was about 10 or so, and I felt like I couldn't take a big enough breath to fill my lungs and feel satisfied. I distinctly remember going to the doctor about it, and well, in those days they didn't make too much of anything. But it did go away eventually. I can't say if that was a tic for me or not, but maybe, we just didn't know about that stuff then.

I don't know if I am so good on advice, but I would of course go through the route of seeking medical help and advice to make sure nothing is definitively wrong concerning his health, and then keep reading and you will find things to do one by one.

Good luck and welcome

Faith

Hi Faith,

Thanks for your response. I've had TS since age 10 or 11. It was never a big deal at all for me. (I sure hope it's the same for my boy). Had alot of freinds, dates, played sports. I am now a financial advisor and married with 2 kids. If you want to know the full picture, please feel free to respond to my email address and I can give you my number and you can call me. To type it out would take me about 4 hours - Im a horrible typist.

Hi itsme,

I was wondering how old your son is? Just checking the ages of onset, and explosive tic ages. My son had some kind of deep breathing tic, but strange thing about it he would only do it while we were having our family prayer time. It was like reading prayers or praying out loud would set it off. He has not done that in a long time, and he is such a good reader, he tells me his teachers call on him all the time to read out loud to the class. What ever that was is gone now. So hopefully that will come and go soon.

I was also wondering if you have a diet plan for yourself? If yes has it helped your TS? My husband has TS too, and he has never changed his diet, and the tics he has are just about nothing. Could you tell us how you have out-grown your TS, or are they still present?

C.P.

Hi CP,

My son is 5. I think the "still time" like riding in a car causes more tics which cause stress and than tics, but not positive.

I still have ts, it is probably mild to moderate. I think it may have been less severe when I was a kid 10, 11, etc.... than it is now. I still live a great life, the tics are simple a nuisance. I tic, maybe 1 to 2 thousand times a day. But as anyone with ts knows it is simply part of life when you've had it 30 years. I am doing a diet change now (since my son got ts 4 months ago) I am desparate for answers!!

Thanks for your reply.