ACN Latitudes Forums

What consitutes ticcing? OCD?

Hi,

My DS (23) lately has been very touchy..meaning touching/playing with EVERYTHING...sees the garlic on the counter and starts peeling it...takes the salt shaker or pepper and puts it in whatever is around like iced tea...just basically playing with everything, can't seem to sit still.

If we go somewhere he will pick up whatever is around and play with it.

Is this considered ticcing? OCD?....If so then I guess he does have pandas as well as lyme.

thanks for any thoughts

his mom

I know what you mean, I would not really call it a tic, nor would I call it OCD. Just like some people tap their feet, or wiggle their toes when wearing flip flops. It seems to me more like just having to keep hands busy. I have seen people who are trying to quit smoking having to chew gum, or having to have a cup of coffee in their hands just to keep from reaching for that cigarette. Maybe ADHD type of behaviors, or some type of nervous response. I am not really sure what to call it. When my son is in a flair I notice he can't keep kis hands still either. He usually plays games on his phone or shuffles cards or twirls a pencil in his fingers, or picks up whatever is around. All teenagers are constantly on their phones now anyway, so usually it's not too bothersome to us. Once the flair gets better this usually gets better as well.

Yes, he can stop whatever he is doing at that moment but then reaches for something else. Like if he is twirling a shuffeling cards over and over and it gets on my nerves I say to him "please put the cards down". He will put them down but then reach in his pocket for his phone. It is like he has to keep his hands busy when he is in a flair.

Mommy2mcl- if there is a pattern to it and she can't stop until she has finished the pattern then yes, I would call it OCD. My son does not get mad when I ask him to stop, he just starts doing something different. It might be throwing a ball up over and over and catching it or dribbling a basketball, I don't know what to call it. I just usually tell him he is being fidgety again. He is not currently in a flair so things have calmed down for now but it is always indicative of a flair.

We see similar. I am not sure what these symptoms should be called. they don't quite fit either OCD or tics. and they are not exactly fixations either.

but taken all together, perhaps they are a form of obsessive behavior. compulsion is not there in the sense that they don't have to do one thing, but they have to do something.

if you find a good definition, please post it.

we started vayarin three months ago and so some let up of such behavior. we stopped it a week ago and they are starting to creep in again.

Kiddo's tics are vocal. Repeating the same pattern of sounds without the ability to control them.

Kiddos OCD is a bit more elusive. She asks the same questions over and over and over......................... Sometimes minutes apart, and she knows the answer. If I turn the question the around and ask her, she knows the answer, but she asks out of compulsion. She also will focus on one or two shows and watch them endlessly, and ask questions about them endlessly.

Dd does the same thing with watching the same show over and over, sometimes she writes the same words over and over on paper or the wall or opens a note pad on the computer and types the same phrase like it was like a exercize or punishment and i forget to mention to doc its part of her ocd routine.