ACN Latitudes Forums

6yr old son, showing signs of PANDAS please help

first of, you may want to know if there are PANDAS friendly drs in your area. I would start another post with that question as your topic.

if there are none, you may want to call closest dr from the PANDAS list and make an appointment.

you can try with local pedis -- in most cases, you need to convince them to try certain things. the forum, under pinned materials, contains info about blood tests that should be ordered, etc.

pedi might be also willing to put your ds on prophylactic abx.

in general, best use of this forum is by asking specific questions like: how can I get my pedi to prescribe prophylactic abx

there are several things you can do while you wait -- ibuprofen seems to help many children as do changes in diet (no sugar, healthy food, toward free of gmos, gluten, etc.)

give us some sense of your ds's symptoms. why do you think this is pandas?

There are lots of things you can try to do early on, but without knowing your sons symptoms, history, or list of any current medications it is hard to give advice. Has your son been sick recently, had any vaccines recently, is he prone to allergies, what is his history with strep throat infections, does he still have his tonsils? Many pandas/pans children do not present with typical strep throat symptoms. So he may be carrying strep any you would not know unless the bloodwork is done. I can tell immediately if my son has been exposed just by a flair up of tics and anxiety. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum so please don't feel hesitant to ask.

I was able to find PANDAS-knowledgeable doctors in my area that were not on this list by asking on local parenting lists/groups, etc. These were not perhaps the expert-level doctors that many see, but doctors who had treated PANDAS before, knew what blood tests to order, believed it was a real thing etc. They have helped my son quite a bit--his case was/is simpler than many here.

Sounds like some local Michigan folks have already PM'd you with more local info.

Good luck to you and your son.