ACN Latitudes Forums

Does anyone know if doing an MRI is a worthwhile pursuit in the diagnosing of Pandas? Our doc ordered one for my ds, however, I don't know if it makes any sense to put him through that process if it's not likely to be helpful. I'm really confused why a neurologist would even suggest an MRI in my ds's case, but that's the latest we've been told.

We did it. Showed nothing. But it at least ruled out other dx's. I was told that the MRI is not strong enough to see the kind of inflammation thought to be affecting the Basil Ganglia. I did hear though that there are other imaging tests that can...

we did it, it also showed nothing. it's 20 minutes, not all that of an ordeal if the child is not in an exacerbation.

we heard that only a few radiologists are competent to interpret the kind of change on basal ganglia you'd be looking for. not sure if that is true

Had attempted many MRI's the past 2 Years and could never get DD to sit though one completely. The MRI Doc said just forget about it because there is nothing remarkable. We got a new Neurologist and she was adamit about getting a MRI so we did and it showed nothing and now we have another $2k bill.

We also did it back in November when DS was hospitalized for a battery of tests. Looked normal. It was mainly used to rule out things. I don't think it is sensitive enough to pick up PANDAS type inflammation as others have stated.

Thinking more about the MRI and what has been said here, I'm wondering about the timing. How can and scan show anything if we dont stop the anti-iinflamitories? Wouldn't the time to take a picture be during a flare? It's not that hard to figure out we are wasting money on tests if we are not testing during activity, dont ya think? Having said that is the easy part. Getting dd tested during a flare is way different level.