ACN Latitudes Forums

Prednisone side effects

Hi. My son, 12, started 10mg of prednisone 2xs day four days ago. Many of his symptoms like rage, swearing, vocal tics either stopped or decreased significantly. Today he is extremely hyper and impulsive but not angry or raging. Has anyone experienced these side effects? How do I know if we should continue the treatments. Please advise.

Melissa

I would absolutely continue. If those symptoms have improved- I would not stop it! hyperactivity/ impulsivity is totally to be expected on prednisone- even the moderate dose he is on.

Steroids were a huge game-changer for my kids, several times, and pointed us on the path to recovery. So glad you are seeing response.

meliemo -- your message describes my son to a T. Raging, vocal tics (he's 7, too young to swear) magically stop or decrease significantly when we do steroids. But he can become extremely hyper and impulsive but not angry or raging -- i call it happy hyper.

I can't tell you to continue the treatment, but for me, these side effects, as difficult as they are, an improvement over the clear suffering he is facing when he is raging