ACN Latitudes Forums

Alternatives to IV Ig?

Hi - diet is SO important for many of us! DS7 has been on abx, long term, IVig x 2. We went gluten free last August and it made a huge diff. He is doing extremely well. The idea is that it frees up the immune system to manage more effectively when it is not fighting a flood of gluten (if intolerant). We did not have any Celiac or formal testing for gluten, although he did show a multitude of food/environmental allergies on the skin prick. However, going GF truly was a game changer, leading us to believe that he is al least gluten intolerant. There are other foods that can trigger inflammation, such as dairy. It is worth a try and the cheapest intervention that we have used!

Valacyclovir is an antiviral which helped us as much as an antibiotic. I have posted previously on this. This medicine is also very helpful in MS and Alzheimer's. We had high titers to HHV-6 and they dropped to normal correlating with a drop in behaviors. Some believe it may help other viruses that may not have been identified.

Has anyone tried Now's Super Colostrum? I picked some up today at the healthfood store. It says it supports Natural Killer Cell Activity (dd has very low CD-57). It has 1 gram Bovine Colostrum, Larch Arabinogalactan (ImmunoEnhancer), Olive Leaf standardized extract, Astragalus root, Eleuthero root. "Colostrum has naturally occurring Immunoglobulins IgG, IgM and IgA, which are important immunological proteins for both animals and humans. In addition, NOW has also included Eleuthero to support a healthy stress response." 90 veg caps for $15.00. (This store is rather high priced - I'm guessing it could be purchased online at a cheaper price.) 2 caps - 2 to 3 times per day.

Dd is on too many things now to start this, but am considering it for the future. Anyone tried this?

When my child first was diagnosed with PANDAS (5 years ago) - there weren't many avenues for support, help or research. We were desperate for help. We used the strategy of an eastern and western medicine philosophy. We used conventional antibiotics when necessary (as I'm sure you all do) and we contacted an incredible naturopath who was really instrumental in helping our son. He has been on a regiment of supplements for 5 years now. We started with a highly absorbable partially broken down supplement vitamin drink called "Isotonix Might-a-Mins® Spectrum Multivitamin". It comes in an orange drink and he drank it twice per day for 3 years. He was 5 when he was diagnosed. The partially broken down part is very important because with kids with these struggles sometimes it's hard for the bodies to actually absorb the nutrients in supplements - this highly absorbable vitamin drink ensures that the nutrients actually get into their bodies. He now takes "Nutriplenish Focus" which comes in pill form. **

Nutrition is also a huge part of things as well. I can also not stress enough how important a GOOD probiotic is - especially with all of the antibiotic use happening with PANDAS. We use "Innate Flora 20/14 Ultra Strength". It's important to get a product that has multiple strains in it - even if it's a great probiotic from a health food store, if it only contains a couple of different strains and your child isn't lacking one of them then it won't help him. That's all I have for tonight.