ACN Latitudes Forums

Sibling has Strep, Causing Flare in my DS

Hi this is my first post here, long time lurker. My DS has had a massive increase in OCD, Tics (especially shouting out and compulsive apologizing). His brother had a sore throat fever and when we tested at the ped he was positive for strep. My DS is under Dr Latimer's care but we are not sure how to counter the effects of strep in the house. This is the worst flare I've seen since he was diagnosed 2 years ago! Really need some help if anyone has insight!

Thanks!

Edited by azanmi

Sorry to hear that...I know how heartbreaking it feels after a long stretch. I would go to similar dose that you would give to treat an infection, like strep. When I make the decision to go from prophylactic dose to higher, I go with standard dose that a doc would write for infection....

About 4 weeks or so ago, I started my ds on New Chapter Tumeric Force. One a day. I started seeing results one week later, and even greater results by week 4. It has strong anti-inflammatory affects. My hope was 3 fold: 1) eliminate the use for motrin during popcorn mini-flares. 2)Eliminate need for abx when ds is dealing with exposure or mild infections that can cause flares 3)Bring him to another level of "better".

So far, for the last 3 weeks I have not had to use motrin because I have not seen any mini flares at all. In fact, I have not seen any behaviors/tics that resemble his unique pandas symptoms. None, Zero. He in fact has gone to another level of calm.. He did have a cold ten days ago, and I saw no flare whatsoever.

So do I hand all the credit over to Tumeric. Well of course not. However, I do believe I came across another piece of the puzzle

in learning how to help my ds.

Maybe give it a go? Best of luck....

Edited by qannie47

Is your PANS DS on combination antibiotics? If not you might call Dr. L to secure another antibiotic to help deal with the exposure and most likely the strep he has as well.

The other thing we do is nebulize all the kids with hydrogen peroxide when strep enters the household.

This is the nebulizer we use: http://justnebulizers.com/mini-comp-compressor-nebulizer-system.html

We put 2 ML of 3% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide along with 2 ML of distilled water into a nebulizer. You can work up to that amount. Initially they might feel the hydrogen in their nose or throat as its killing the bacteria. It will take care of any biofilms or lingering infections/viruses in nasal passage and back of throat even if its not strep. You can google, as there is a lot of information on-line about use of hydrogen peroxide. We nebulize until all congestion is resolved.

We also bath our kids once a week with one cup of 35% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide in bath water. This is a much different concentration then what you would nebulize with... 3% verses 35% concentration. You can purchase the 3% 'Food Grade' concentration at almost any pharmacy for $1.50. We purchase the 35% concentration at this website:

http://www.purehealthdiscounts.com/h2o2.htm

It really works. The baths help to keep bacteria off the skin preventing continued infections within the family.

Edit: I should add we use the MASK when using the nebulizer to cover both mouth and nose.

Edited by sf_mom

I would call your Dr. right away. Our 2 worst flares were due to a sibling and his girlfriend ping ponging the strep around our DS. Found out my oldest is usually asymptomatic. I would do blood work on all the family including yourself.

I would add that this past winter is the first out of 3 years since diagnosis. Our Integrative ped put our worst pandas dd on PenVK prophylaxis. We have done very well on it. It would be the same/similar protocol for someone that has rheumatic fever with heart inflammation. PenVK is not as tough as zithromax but for us it has been effective in mitigating tics and behaviors. Withing the last week or so, we have noticed very minor ticcing.......next day neighborhood friend says she is not feeling good...mom calls day later to confirm strep. So our dd is like a barometer, if you will, when strep is in the house.......and I am quite vigilant and aware of what is going on with her. The fall off is not nearly as bad as previous exacerbations......much shallower fall and quicker recovery......as least so far. Still monitoring it this week.

I'll second quannie........We are also on Enhasa and a host of other stuff......let me know if you have any other questions.