ACN Latitudes Forums

Questions about elevated ASO

PIK

Hello everybody. I have posted on here before. My ASO was as high as 1600 a few months ago and two months ago it had gone down to like 1350 and now on repeat testing it was 1050. I had been on 500 mg penicillin once daily for this, which I recently had to stop a second time because of joint pain, fatigue, and generalized not feeling well.

I'm curious - from what you all know, is it going down because of the penicillin therapy, or would it have gone down anyway on its own? I don't seem to be getting a clear answer from anywhere about ASO titers. One doctor told me not to worry about elevated ASO as it didn't indicate anything (according to her) but it is clear to me that it certainly did, as I am certain I've had PANDAS, rheumatic fever, and glomerularnephritis. Also, does ASO get elevated in "normal" individuals upon contact with strep too, or is this elevation noted only in susceptible people?

If all the sequelae of strep infection are due to a reaction to the antibodies themselves, how come some doctors claim it's not indicative of anything. I don't understand.

I would really appreciate a clear answer on this question. Does an elevation simply indicate past exposure to strep, or is it indicative of sequelae?