ACN Latitudes Forums

Which is more important: Repairing methylation issues or customized am

I'm really on the fence about our next step. Homeopathy and mega doses of omega 3s have given my PANS son and the whole family our lives back in the matter of a few months, but there are still some lingering issues. I was following the path of amino acids, and working with a dr. who customizes them based on blood test results. But shortly after consulting with him, genetic testing came back via 23andme and shows methylation issues. I presented the idea to the dr., who just said that he can't use the genetic information to customize amino acids (I was hoping to avoid more blood draws).

So now I'm at a point to decide: Which is more important? Methylation issues or amino acids? Any thoughts?

Your amino acids are involved in methylation pathway. I am waiting on my son's 23 and me results. However, I have found out the my son is very low on arginine. Arginine is needed for the Urea cycle. So I would think that treating underlying methylation issues would help speed up yout son's recovery time. BTW, how much Omega 3's is your son taking and how long did it take to see the improvement.

as far as I know, there is no reliable test for amino acids. so, if the therapy works, it is because of a lucky guess.

23 and me -- results are very hard to interpret. also, having mutations does not seem to mean much, you don't know which one of them is, if I understand this one, "active." in practical terms, this means that you either find yasko-like dr or you experiment by taking one supplement at a time to figure out what works.

then there is this amino acid treatment and methylation have considerable overlaps.

i'd say, then, finding what works is most important -- not choosing between methylation and amino acids

just to clarify: questions i found about amino acid test is how a urine test can check aminos in the brain. from what I read, there is no confirmation that it can or that it can't. and so there is no verification, meaning that the test cannot be called reliable.

My son is taking 5000 mg/day. More than that and he gets diarrhea. I started high doses of omega 3s with him about two weeks after he started his correct homeopathic constitutional remedy and saw results very, very quickly. Days. Five days after his constitutional was started, he came out of a flare and over the next week we began with a little and began upping the dose of omega 3s. He's never been better since. There's just a lingering of issues, hence the original question.

Methylation is overwhelming, but we are finding that it's a huge piece of our puzzle. A good place to start is Dr. Amy Yasko's site: http://www.dramyyasko.com/resources/webisodes/

Once you get your 23andme results, you should be able to plug them into her site and supplements will be recommended.

Good luck on your journey.