ACN Latitudes Forums

Where to interpret raw data from 23andme?

Does anyone know where to interpret raw data? I received my son's 23andme results today. He has no mthfr mutations, and the place I found to interpret results is in conjunction with a mthrf mutation. Just checking. Thanks!

SNPedia is a human genetics wiki. You can research individual snps there and find relevant PubMed research articles on the site.

http://www.snpedia.com

Through them, you can access Promethease, and use your 23andme raw data to create a personal report linking your DNA variations to the information published about them.

http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Promethease

From their website:

Promethease is a literature retrieval system that builds a personal DNA report based on the scientific literature cited in SNPedia and a file of genotype (DNA) data. Customers of DNA testing services (23andMe, FamilyTreeDNA, Ancestry.com, Complete Genomics, ...) can use it to retrieve published data about their DNA completely independent of whichever company produced the data.

I have found Promethease to be a better health resource and I like their reporting style much more than 23andme (before the FED made them stop reporting on health issues).

If you go to use Promethease, make sure after you have downloaded the 23andme raw data to your computer, that you unzip the file, and use the .txt file when linking to Promethease, if you want full accessibility to the Promethease report.

Also, in the Promethease report, there is a Topics heading where the last topic listed is "Yasko methylation" where you can find more detailed info on the SNPs dealing with methylation.

~orion