ACN Latitudes Forums

Just as things were going well, DS gets Strep/Scarlet Fever :(

Posted yesterday about my son having hives....well, they weren't hives. It's strep/scarlet fever. But unusual because no other symptoms besides the rash -- no fever or anything. But of course our kids often display strep differently....

Gah....things had been going relatively well. Not perfect, but so much better.

His pediatrician put him on 8 mls daily of Cefdinir....any other thoughts on what we should be doing to prevent a full-blown flare? Advil? You can see what we're already doing in my signature.

Wow.

Was he off all antibiotics?

My dd has been off all antibiotics for awhile,

and got strep impetigo last Fall-

I freaked, but actually after a few 10 day rounds of antibiotics,

some die off during treatment,

the infection went away and we were back to our 'normal.'

Thanks sss! That's very heartening to hear.

DS was not on prophylactic antibiotics. Perhaps he should have been? But I was--and remain--leery of messing with his immune system and his gut bacteria so much. It's hard to know what is the right thing to do. I certainly see how prophylactics could be beneficial, especially now.

So far he seems OK, but I also have him on Advil. I'm sort of hoping that the Advil will prevent any inflammation from even starting but of course I could be utterly wrong on that too!

He was on a bit of a downward trend--not really a flare, just vaguely not doing quite as well--for a few weeks before the rash started. Things don't seem to be any worse now. Hopefully we will have an experience like yours.