ACN Latitudes Forums

Justina Pelletier - Permanent Custody for State of Mass

http://c.o0bg.com/rw/Boston/2011-2020/2014/03/25/BostonGlobe.com/HealthScience/Graphics/SCAN.pdf

This may help explain some of the punting back and forth between CT and MA and why the court (though sadly, in my opinion) did what it did.

it also reminds me why we worked our tail off to keep our daughter out of any hospital and why it is important to maintain your cool in the face of incompetent or ignorant "professionals".

Edited by powpow

I'm very sad for her parents. I find it rather alarming, as well. Just one more reason to stay out of hospitals with PANS kids. I don't know what's going on there with the judge and all the players but something is very, very wrong. I wasn't under the impression it was for a judge to decide what illness a child had but whether the child's parents could properly care for them.

http://c.o0bg.com/rw/Boston/2011-2020/2014/03/25/BostonGlobe.com/HealthScience/Graphics/SCAN.pdf

This may help explain some of the punting back and forth between CT and MA and why the court (though sadly, in my opinion) did what it did.

it also reminds me why we worked our tail off to keep our daughter out of any hospital and why it is important to maintain your cool in the face of incompetent or ignorant "professionals".

Absolutely. What a mess, and this poor girl is trapped in the middle.

Edited by agnes26

After reading this, much of what I wondered about seems clearer, yet I still don't get how a hospital can Veto a very prominent doctor's doctors from

Tuft. That has yet to be explained. Despite the fact that the Pelletier's lost there cool and lead with their broken hearts and anger, there is no excuse for the clear abuse of power. Yes, it seems that her parents angered a lot of people. Still, it does not take a rocked scientist to understand why these parents would have moved to such an emotional/reactive state of mind. From the way that this case was handled from the beginning, it set the parents up to lose...Who would not have reacted with such rage to have a child torn away from them in 24 hours...It seems to me that this has turned into a Pi######ing match. I don't think that the judge, hospital, appointed guardians, or dcfs have Justine's best interest in mind at all. What we have here are powerful egos whom seem bent on playing their powerful hand.

I have encountered individual's whom's best defense is a great offense. These people play with your emotions. They are experts at pushing buttons in order to elicit high emotional charges...That way they can say that your crazy....

This is all just so sad.

Yes, powwow, that's what is so scary. They were there for help in treating the flu. Somehow psychiatrists got involved and when a psychiatrist is involved, watch out.

A very prominent PANDAS doctor told me, and I quote him word for word, " I hope I live long enough to see psychiatrists put out of business." The doctor went on to say psychologists had a place but not psychiatrists. I was a little surprised at the time but not anymore. I share the same sentiment.

This is so sad and my heart goes out to this family. My husband and I are determined to keep our son out of the hopital unless he is under our cardiologist care. We feel so fortunate that we had no problems when my son was in the hospital for the first time. What a mess!

I really hope Alan Dershowitz can get the job done. At this point, they need a top tier legal team. I don't blame them for speaking out. In my mind, that's their right. I feel they are being punished for being vocal about the wrongs in this mess.

“Parents have a right to be wrong, as long as they’re acting reasonably," Dershowitz said. "And if two distinguished medical centers have different diagnoses, it should be the parents, not the state, that determines the course of treatment.”

Well said!!

I dont think ican even form an opinion with this story because there appears to be much left out. How can the hospital claim medical abuse over treatment without a confirm diagonsis? The story appeats to be detailed but you have to make assumptions to fill in the missing pert to form an opinion. The storys says the state proved its case, but makes it sound like the parents are being punished for being verbally abusive to hospital personnel. How do they make the caynon leap to medical abuse for the child proof that the parents are bad. Too much left out of the details to make rational sense of the case especially in front of a judge where family law is the welfare of the child is paramount.