ACN Latitudes Forums

coughing tics

Char

Hi, I have not been on here for a long time. My son has been doing pretty good with an gfcf , no eggs., no artificial diet and supplements. He still had minor motor tics, but not really an issues. My son has had a coughing tic now for a few weeks. I was hoping it would go away but it's not. Just wondering what others have tried to help the coughing tic-supplements? Should I try l-carntine? If so how much? My son is doing the coughing tic, every two mins. I don't know how he can go back to school like this. I am very stressed. My son has never had this before. Please Any suggestions?

Hi Char

first thing I would look into is possible allergens!

Something new in the home or at school (new paint, woodwork, carpeting etc?) or new plants/trees in garden? new car? pesticides? etc

New household chemicals, fragranced personal care products?

Anything new in diet?

coughing tics do fall under vocals, so you could try the l-carnitine, but remember to start at lowest dose and work up to what is recommended on the label (usually 500mg/day)

but my #1 suggestion is try to locate whatever is triggering it and then eliminate it.

Allergens are a main one. Has your child been since my dd had a mild cold and the drainage set it off. Her cold is gone but the mild tic is still their we wait it off. I give her warm green tea with lemon and honey and ricola throat drops once in a while. I know it's a lingering tic bc I won't hear it for hours and then sneaks up and cold symptoms are gone. That tic in my children was always due to drainage in back of throat from allergies or colds that set it off.

Mar

• 2 weeks later...

We're having a similar issue with my son right now. He's going through a minor vocal tic and it's high allergy season right now so I'm thinking it's related to the allergies. He said he keeps swallowing and he also keeps clearing his throat. He's been gluten free and low sugar for quite a while now, but those things never seemed to reduce his tics anyway. I tend to think along the lines of Mar; the drainage in the back of the throat might be setting off the tics?

Also, I know my son tends to increase his tics when things get stressful or he's doing something new to his body. He just started physical therapy for a shoulder injury and we've seen some new tics as a result of the stress on the body from the exercises. It's like his brain senses that things are changing so it hyper focuses there and he winds up with more tics. Whenever he starts to tic more, I try to help him find ways to reduce the discomfort from the tics so sometimes we do more epsom salt baths, other times we do more massage, and other times we do more herbal teas or warm compresses.

My son has been 'ticcing' since he was 9 and he is now 15.5. Life goes on, the tics wax and wane, and yet I'm still trying to figure out triggers at times.

This little clearing throat tic is still lingering. You gave me a reminder that I should try her on salt baths that I did with ds. Never did it with her but never hurts. This all a started with a little cold that is long gone. She still coughs so often but it's dry. She has also been having more cheese that she was off for years so need to go dairy free again which will be hard since she has been so happy to have it but something has to give and need to make sure dairy is not causing this.