ACN Latitudes Forums

Free webinar today on holistic approach to PANS/PANDAS

I don't know if this was posted previously, but it is free and sponsored by the Autism Research Institute.

The main announcement says it is for PANS/PANDAS in kids with autism, but the general principles should be of interest--with or without autism.

ARI says it will also be posted on their youtube channel, so if you can't make it today don't worry. The speaker is located in the Bronx. Website here.

Register here

FROM ARI:

"Medical Support for Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders (PANDAS) & Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome"

1. Wed, Mar 19, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM ED

We are recording this webinar and will post it on our YouTube channel - subscribe here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCewrICyE_Pl9LiyCHp6GnRQ

Join us for Dr. Maya Shetreat-Klein's presentation on Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders (PANDAS) And Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome (PANS).

Dr. Shetreat-Klein is an integrative pediatric neurologist who is board-certified in Adult and Pediatric Neurology as well as in Pediatrics. She teaches integrative neurology as faculty at New York Medical College and UMDNJ, and lectures nationally and internationally. She completed residency training for Pediatrics at Long Island Jewish Medical Center, and then her Adult and Child Neurology fellowship at Montefiore Medical Center. Prior to that, she received her medical degree from Albert Einstein College of Medicine, where she was awarded the Edward Padow Award for Excellence in Pediatrics and graduated with a Special Distinction in Research in Child Neurology for her work in Autism. Dr. Shetreat-Klein graduated with honors from Columbia College in New York City with a B.A. in English literature.

Dr. Shetreat-Klein sits on expert advisory boards for Autism Society of America’s Treatment Guided Research Initiative founded by Dr. Martha Herbert, for Healthy Child, and for Better School Foods. A “foodie” and lifelong environmental activist, Dr. Shetreat-Klein’s passion is to understand the connection between food, environmental exposures and health.

I do not have a good understanding of the science behind PANS, but my synpopsis of her talk was that PANS was due to an immune system (microglia) that wont ramp down after fighting an infection. She uses pharmaceuticals to treat infections and mental side effects but mainly concentrates on herbs for long term treatment.

Specifically, she mentioned reishi mushrooms, astragalus, curcumin, biacilin, olive leaf extract, luteolin and passion flower. I probably missed some, but I am going to read up on each.

Edited by dasu