ACN Latitudes Forums

Anyone have research linking vaccines to ASD?

At the risk of being a lone wolf and I know this is a sensitive topic, I would discourage anyone from considering not vaccinating their child. as far as I am aware the doctor that claimed he found a link admitted it was completely made up. He lost his medical license. I really urge people to read the research including the publicly available vaers data and read it with a critical eye tk really see if there is a direct causal link. When I studied the data the only vaccine I saw that truly could be directly linked to serious side effects outside of allergic reactions occurring immediately after administration is the menactra vaccine for herpes which I will never allow my children to get. Children and adults are now dying of eradicated diseases such as measles and whopping cough, deaths that were preventsble. I do think there is merit to spacing out vaccines. Tylenol on the other hand I believe has had some studies showing possible causal links. There are other causes that need to be explored. Food additives etc perhaps even the proliferation of devices. How many toddlers do you see glued to iPhones? Gluten etc. my daughter was erroneously under vaccinated by my former pediatrician and contracted what thankfully was a mild case of whooping cough. It was beyond horrifying and it is so concerning to me to think if babies getting whooping cough, measles etc.

While I truly believe that Vaccines could reap havoc with children with autoimmune issues, in the big picture, I think if we all stopped vaccinating our children, there would be big troubles....I think very few candidates would fall into the category of "not a good idea to vaccinate".

I just ran across this site, and don't know if it would be helpful or not. I believe these articles are more about the dangers of vaccines in general.

http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/category/webinar/

My kids were fully vaccinated (before PANDAS diagnosis), but my dd will definitely NOT be getting the Gardasil, FluMist, or probably any of the flu vaccines.

Honestly, the more I read the more uncomfortable I am. I know that most doctors don't report to VAERS, even when the parents request it. We have had a pediatrician tell us that he thinks the schedule should be changed - not giving so many vaccines to babies, not so early, and not multiple vaccines at once. Yet they know they can't say anything publicly or it will hurt their reputations. Sad state of affairs, really. Everyone terrified to be labeled an "anti-vaxxer", so we just can't even question the safety. I'm not anti-vaccine, but anytime you aren't "allowed" to raise questions without people labeling you as a nut - I'm guessing something seems a bit fishy.

If I had to do it over again, I'd just make sure they were given later than the schedule. And not several at once. I just don't see the need in that. I read repeatedly that the baby is covered by the mother's immunity for, I think, 6 months or longer. And if that's true, then why are they jabbing the poor little things before they leave the hospital?

My son is fully vaccinated too. If I had it to do over again, I would NOT do it. Absolutely no chickenpox, MMR, or Gardisil(which he has not had) and no flu shot or mist. I would be very selective and space them out. Newborns do not need a hepatitis vaccine that is sexually transmitted. That can come later.

There is some research. I don't have time to link it right now but if I can dig up what I've read, I'll come back and post it. The headlines in newspapers does not reflect actual circumstances. It's fear mongering promoted by our govt.

I don't think much can be found on the topic of vaccination damage research.

There is no financial incentive for pharmaceutical companies to do this work. It would be against their own best interests to publish negative findings (ie loss of profit), so they will selectively publish only the positive, leaving negative findings on the cutting room floor.

The real problem is that pharmaceutical companies are allowed to do this type of research on their own products in the first place. Any negative results stemming from research done by unbiased researchers is quickly dismissed as fear-mongering.

The immune system's of our children's generation have never been allowed to develop properly. They are vaccinated at birth and not allowed to produce any type of fever reaction (recommendations for tylenol for every pain/sniffle).

So as a result any infection that our/our parent's generation was able to handle with a properly functioning immune system, ie.measles, chicken pox, may actually pose more of a threat to our children than it did to us.

The whole thing is a mess.

I saw with my own eyes the regression of motor ability produced by DD's MMR vaccination. I saw her lose her ability to communicate, her development of toe-walking and other ASD traits. In our case, with OT/PT they have mostly resolved, but it happened in front of my eyes when she was 16 months of age and even though my observations were dismissed by our doctor as not being caused by vaccination, I know in my heart they were real. My only regret is that I continued to trust and believe our doctor.

Edited by rowingmom

I heard Dr. Kenneth Bock ("Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma and Allergies") speak at an Autism One conference a few years ago. He was compelling and made the most sense on this topic that I've ever heard.

While there's been concern about mercury, thimerasol and other preservatives in vaccines contributing to rates of autism in the population, Dr. Bock focused on the onslaught to the immature immune system. The "modern" version of immunizing our babies is relatively new in the way in which multiple vaccines are combined (MMR, for instance), and the rate at which they are administered has been escalated dramatically in recent decades, as well. If our immune systems are like a glass, and the smaller the person, the smaller the glass, then our children's glasses get topped out fairly quickly and likely cannot handle this onslaught.

I think this is a direct quote, but it's been a few years so take it with some measured consideration. I remember Dr. Bock saying something along these lines: "I'm not against immunization, but I'm for smart, reasonable, timely immunization. Giving these children these bundled vaccines, all in the space of a few months, is not what I consider 'smart'." I also recall some discussion about why in the world the CDC recommends that babies be inoculated for Hepatitis C when it is a sexually-transmitted disease. :wacko:

My DS was given all his "shots," as scheduled. Like Nicklemama, if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't do it that way. I can't document, time-wise, that any of the immunizations contributed to what he went through in later years, but since the immune system appears to be involved, it's hard not to consider the possibility that they did.

And finally, as for the doctor who discovered the link between autism and vaccines (Wakefield) having "faked" his data . . . I think we need to keep in mind the sort of negative flack our own Dr. Swedo has faced in trying to gain credibility for her research findings and PANDAS. Big Pharma has a long reach and deep pockets, and it was in their best interest to vilify Dr. Wakefield. I'm not privy to the inner details, and Dr. Wakefield may have made some mistakes and/or pushed some boundaries, but if you follow stories of families of autistic children at all (Autism One, etc.), there does appear to be a relationship between immunizations and incidents of autism.

Here's one link about H1N1 vaccine. Most of the research I find is about the flu vaccines. No one is researching vaccine damage. No money and it's certainly not in the interest of the pharmaceutical co's. They are the only ones doing the vax research and it's in their interest to make it loom worth while.

http://www.naturalnews.com/043665_swine_flu_vaccine_narcolepsy_scientific_research.html%23

This is a link to a moms blog. She's a scientific reporter and debunks some myths perpetuated by big pharma, in collaborating with media and our govt.

http://gianelloni.wordpress.com/

My son developed PANS two days after a flumist vax and 6 months following his MMR and chickenpox vax. He had some behavioral changes after the MMR and chickenpox vax that lasted a few months but were nothing like the 'big one' following flumist. In hind sight, this was a warning sign and the ball may have already been set in motion. Most PANDAS docs now say there are early, mild episodes before the big one that gets your attention.

Edited by nicklemama

I think this article is important to consider, as well. If I were to do it all over again, I'd definitely skip the Tylenol. BTW - there are other articles online associating Tylenol use with asthma.

Evidence that Increased Acetaminophen use in Genetically Vulnerable Children Appears to be a Major Cause of the Epidemics of Autism, Attention Deficit with Hyperactivity, and Asthma

By William Shaw, Ph.D.

http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/Acetaminophen.asp

I enjoy posing the following question to vaccine advocates and those on the fence: "How many recommended vaccines would you take before you stopped? 20? 100? 1,000? 10,000? At what point does taking all recommended vaccines seem dangerous to you?" Everyone I ask pauses and squirms at this question, because it reveals that 1) we know vaccines can help us build "herd immunity" but also 2) there is a cost for everything, and more of a good thing is not always good.

While it is not generally accepted or proven that vaccines cause autism, there have been studies that indicate links between vaccines and various illnesses.

Here is one that suggests that the use of adjuvants (the stuff they put in vaccines to amplify the immune response) correlates to a higher incidence of autism:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22099159

Edited by msimon3

1) we know vaccines can help us build "herd immunity" but also 2) there is a cost for everything, and more of a good thing is not always good.

An interesting article here on how that vaccine produced "herd immunity" may be short-lived, resulting in outbreaks in immunized populations and less total coverage for related infections than herd immunity produced naturally by infection. They are talking about the whooping cough vaccine here:

http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/2011/12/20/special-report-the-vitamin-c-treatment-of-whooping-cough-suzanne-humphries-md/

Dr Maxwell Witt[1] of Keyser Permanente in California showed that pertussis runs rampant in fully vaccinated child populations.

1. “Our data suggests that the current schedule of acellular pertussis vaccine doses is insufficient to prevent outbreaks of pertussis. We noted a markedly increased rate of disease from age 8 through 12. . . . Acellular vaccines have not been studied for clinical efficacy in north America and no studies exist on long term immunogenicity. . . .We sought to examine the factors that resulted in this peak.”

Prior to vaccination, infants were less susceptible to pertussis because real “herd immunity” was in place, and mothers were passing on immunity to their infants during the vulnerable time. Since vaccination, this herd immunity has actually been abolished, and infants are now more susceptible due to their vaccinated or non-immune mothers lacking specific antibody and cellular immunity for pertussis. This can be verified in the medical literature:

“Diminishing maternal immunity increases the risk of infection among the youngest age groups, who have not yet received at least two doses of the vaccine.”[3]

When pertussis is left to take its normal course in the community, the supposedly vulnerable infants that the vaccinationists scream and yell about, are protected by maternal antibodies and mother’s milk until they are old enough to process the disease on their own. After vaccines were introduced, this protection was vastly reduced, because the mothers were at best, having vaccine antibodies to pass along to their infants, and that defense is neither effective nor long-lasting. The reason for the diminishing maternal immunity is that vaccinated individuals tend to have lower antibody titers long-term, and breast milk antibody (IgA) is not transferred in vaccinated mothers. As we already know, two doses and even three doses of vaccine is far from a guarantee of immunity. In fact that is the exact reason there is a new vaccine in the pipeline to add to the current FAILED pertussis vaccine schedule..

So now we are at a point where we need more and more boosters because the effects of vaccine don't last. This obviously means more adjuvants.

i always remember the nurse asking us to sign the vaccine form when my son was 1 day old for an STD. since when did 1 day old babies start having casual sex?

it seems obvious that vaccines have brought a lot of good to the world. the side effects are not well known and studies poorly funded by the big-pharma big-government complex. ended up doing the minimal vaccine route for threats that are big and common, all after age 2: MMR + tetanus. it would have been nice to space vaccines in time, but they are all bundled now.

You can't change people's minds on this. Each parent has to do what they think is best. If they make an informed decision, then that is the best one. The problem is trying to gather unbiased information, which is practically impossible. Both sides have biases.

I remember signing forms before DD's HepB and vitK vaccines, but did I read them and make a decision based on what I understood, or even use gut instinct? No. I simply signed them without a second thought, believing that everything is done for the common good.

You are so right. There is simply no unbiased information. I've been digging around today. Spent way too much time, lol. I don't mind that she vaccinated. Heck, I did too. She constantly posts crap articles on her Facebook page. The most recent the measles outbreak in NY one. I posted the rebuttal one. She tried to tear it apart with a biased website from an Australian doctor. I give up. I don't have time to properly address it.

I'm going to put myself on a 12 step program of not replying to vax pusher propaganda. It's a time suck and gets you no where.

Edited by nicklemama