ACN Latitudes Forums

Neurotransmitter testing

I just got done reading the "natural treatments to tic/tourette's" and I loved it. I found it educational, encouraging and insightful! Thank you.

I wanted to ask about Neurotransmitter testing. Our natropath just did this with my son. It was a urine test and we dont have the results back yet. She said it tests for neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopeamine, etc.

I am wondering why it was not mentioned ? And what people's thoughts are on it? Does this approach help for the treatment of tics?

Since reading the book, I have found a new doctor that practices environmental medicine. :)

Teamyoung, I think it is great that your Naturopath is looking into this. I believe this is an evolving area of practice that is very exciting. Neurotransmitters do evolve with the renewing of synapsis (might have spelt that incorrectly). Google the Walsh Institute, Bill Walsh's book on Biochemistry and Nutrient Therapy is very exciting, but a very difficult book to read. Although not purely focused on TS, the comorbid conditions are definitely included and it all occurs in the same part of the brain, so I found it very insightful. It also gave me great hope about the evolution of medicine and I hope many more practitioners start to see nutrients as an essential part of treatment for any disorder.

Hopefully you will keep us updated on your results and the recommended plan of action, I'll be very interested for sure.

The only NeuroTransmitter testing I was aware of was that done by NeuroSciences. Not sure if that is who is doing yours or perhaps there are more options now? It is still a relatively new type of testing I think, and being continuously refined.

The NeuroSciences one is listed in our Helpful threads http://latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2459

It is tricky with TS as it is not necessarily just too much dopamine that triggers the tics but perhaps a hypersensitivity in the dopamine receptors...at least that was my understanding? So measuring dopamine will not necessarily give clear answers as to whether it is TS