ACN Latitudes Forums

GFCFSF vegetarian suggestions?

Hi all - We started the whole family on a gluten, dairy and soy free diet this week and I swear I see changes in my son already! We are super excited BUT it has not been an easy switch, especially since my son (10) is a vegetarian. I'm hoping to get advice on your favorite GFCFSF brands, tricks, kid-friendly recipes, etc.

I am blogging our recipes at http://feedingthefamily.wordpress.com and about our personal family story at http://fletcherandlola.wordpress.com

Thanks in advance for your advice - I have so much to learn!!

We started GF last August. I saw a big change in my son within 6 days! We are true believers, where were had not been so much before. There is no doubt that he has significant G intolerance. We have since been to an allergist for scratch testing and discovered that he has a multitude of allergies to environmental things as well as food. We have done abx, 2 IVigs and GF. All have contributed significantly, but the GF is the cheapest intervention and available to all! Good luck and so happy to hear it is going well!!! -Kath :)

meat is a good source of fat and b-vitamins. I am not sure that I can recommend being a vegetarian when you have auto-immune issues. this would be a matter of health not of personal choice, philosophy, politics, and what not. also you may want to avoid relying on grains.

I have been a vegetarian for 6 yrs. my pandas daughter is also. It is a very healthy and kind way to eat. Of course, as with anyone you should eat a varied diet that includes nuts, seeds, beans and legumes.

My favorite resource is theppk website, and ALL if her cookbooks, especially Isa Does It. She is vegan. She is not gluten free, but most recipes you could sub w/ gluten free product.

Good luck!

We have done a GF and soy free diet, continuing to eat meat. Going CF seems too difficult right now. We have tried to cut sugar too.

I have learned this with our family: dont try to do too many "mock" foods, substituting the real thing for some acceptable substitute. Substitution ends up frustrating us, as its a defensive strategy. It never tastes as good as the real thing and ends up reminding us of what we left behind. Often it isnt good period. Instead we try to make foods and dishes that fit the ingredients. To date that means more asian and mexican themed meals. Summer is easier with fresh veggetables from the garden.

I checked out your blog and I think we will try the crunchy chickpeas. Kids love crunchy snacks and this is a good and healthy addition to the ubiquitous corn chip.

We love the crunchy chickpeas, dasu! Hope your kids enjoy.

We tried our first "mock" cheese last night, in a vegetable enchilada recipe, and were really pleasantly surprised! We used the Daiya brand which is dairy, gluten and soy free, and honestly liked it better in the recipe than the "real" version!

one advice about CF. you got to do two things to go CF. First, throw out all the CF containing products and do not buy them again. Second, start using coconut products. It is easy to get used to and fat content makes it a great substitute for cow milk products. You can bake with it in place of butter. You can use coconut milk just like you use milk. The only thing that there is no substitute for is cheese, unfortunately. For many people, dairy is among the worst triggers. Do goodle search on dairy and mental illness

pr40, can you use coconut oil as a butter substitute in baking at a 1 to 1 ratio? That would make my life so much easier . . . We have been using rice and almond milk for the past week, but will try out coconut milk next week, especially if the fat content is higher. I hadn't really thought about that. Thank you!!

And yes, while my son hasn't complained, I have definitely missed cheese!! We tried the Daiya brand in a recipe and were really pleased - it is dairy, gluten and soy free but melted really nicely. It gives me hope that we can get a fix of something "cheese-like" when we need it!

trader joes has the cheapest version of coconut oil that we could find. at 70 degrees it is not liquid. and, yes, we use it to replace butter, approximately one to one. this oil gives our muffins special aroma and smell, frankly, much better than regular muffins. we put it on bread and it it with jam.

we also use it as substitute for other oils and fry with it.

Our Costco has the Nutiva brand coconut oil as well as a very nice assortment of GF items (organic, no BPA canned black beans and kidney beans, organic quinoa, coconut and almond milk - rice milk has too much arsenic for us since we eat more than I like of rice products since going GF) which are HUGE staples for us.

PANDAS DS13 has been a Vegi for 6 years now, and is GF since early in with the illness, so I know how hard it can be to feed these kiddos. Just know it gets easier as you go.

Hello.

You may also want to look at paleo recipe sites. The paleo diet includes meats but many recipes themselves don't and all strict paleo recipes should be GFCFSF.

There are also a number of recipe maker apps on some of the sites where you can input your ingredients and it will spit out a recipe. I've never tried these so can't vouch for them but it may be worth a look.