ACN Latitudes Forums

New and looking for help

I have lurked this extremely helpful forum for some time, hoping I wouldn't "need" to join, hoping it would all pass, and not really wanting to include myself here (no offense, I trust you all understand what I mean!)

My precious son is 7. Spring of 2012, we noticed him tilting his head back and looking through the very lowest part of his eyes (hard to describe). We took him to an eye Dr, he does have an astigmatism, not enough for glasses. He definitely has anxiety too--at that time he was constantly chewing holes in his shirts. After a few months, it went away. Spring of 2013, he started more obvious tics--a yelping sound, some head twitches/slight jerks, whistling, and a shuttering sound like he had the chills (sorry--I don't know the right terms yet!). Kindergarten teacher suggested we go to pediatrician, Ped. suggested Neurologist...I cancelled before going. I still have no plan to consider meds unless he is hurting himself or someone else and we've exhausted other options. I started Kids Calm, didn't know much else then, and by May (after 2-3 mos) they went away.

We saw nothing notable until January of this year-mostly yelping with some head movements at times. Started 1 T Kids Calm (120mg magnesium) in the morning; 1/2 t Calm mag (81.25 mg magn.) + vit D3 + 187.5 mcg melatonin (small dose) at night. He's finally sleeping through the night, the "yelps" might be better, but not sure. He has an excellent (public school) teacher this yr in an all boys class and she's noticed the noises, but is OK with them, which I know is a blessing. We teach his Sunday School class and never hear him do it at all. The times he does for sure--at home, transitions, highly excited.

As far as other "stuff" he does struggle greatly with transitions and impulse control. He gets angered easily if he doesn't get his way. He always feels remorse and apologizes, in a way that honestly seems to say he doesn't mean or want to be "that way". That sounds like I'm making an excuse, but really his heart is so tender.

Last thing--my son was adopted, so I am not sure of genetics. I do know there was heavy alcohol, smoking and some drug use (benzodiazapine was found in his system at birth--which makes me wonder if there were issues).

I'm not sure what I'm even asking--maybe just to have someone give me direction-? We haven't done any testing, I don't have a natural Dr or the best insurance.

Thanks for reading, listening, any advice!

Blessings,

Hope

Welcome Hope.

What a blessing that your son has found such a caring family and that he has you to be his mom :)

You could be looking at any number of things causing the tics....from genetic TS to the drugs/alcohol he was exposed to in utero, or any one of the other triggers for tics we discuss here, including infectious agents (PANDAS/PANS), dietary and/or environmental allergies, toxins like mold etc

I would suggest you also take a look at our helpful threads pinned to the top of this forum (and linked below in my signature) as you may get some pointers there.

Chemar-Thank you so much for your welcome and response. I have been amazed at how helpful all the threads are, from especially you and Claire. Thank you for taking the time to share your own journeys and wisdom--it encourages the rest of us. Off to do more reading ;)

Hope, I'm sure most of us understand the wish that it would just go away, we totally get what you mean. I'm sure we all hoped the same, I certainly did. But now we are over the 12 month mark and I'm can easily say my son has Tourette's, because really nothing has changed from before. My son also use to chew holes in his clothes, back when we thought it was a habit, he has gone through the stuttering, yelping, various head jerks, nods and turns. Lots of different motor and vocal tics that come and go. I'm sure you have already read a lot on this site that will be so useful, but getting the necessary testing done will help take the guess work out of what you are doing and ensure you target any deficiencies you son may have. I also strongly recommend Sheila Rogers Book "Natural Treatment to Tics and Tourette's" (hope that is correct), that book gave me so much hope when you read peoples success stories. Plus it will help you to understand the number of possible triggers you need to consider. I'm not using an Environmental Doctor at the moment as we are having good success just with a Naturopath. We also go to the regular sessions with a Chiropractor which does provide a good result for us. After one of the Chiropractors made the comment about my son's birth trauma, I've been investigating this more and after reading older posts from Chemar, I'm going to try Craniosacral Therapy in May.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you pilbara for the welcome and understanding--it so helps on this journey.

Came up with a few more questions as I read last night--in reading through the definition of TS, I get confused between transient tics and TS. My son's (so far) have not last more than 3-4 months at a time, but then the have recured over the last 3 years--would that be mre definitive of TS?

The list of tests to consider was very helpful--I am considering getting the IgG test--would that test for food allergens rather than trying an ellimination diet? My son is really picky as it is and I'd hate to take away his dairy if I didn't have to.

When I first started reading about TS in online medical journals, etc..., I thought the "answer" would be to get his neurotransmitter levels (dopamine...) tested. Then I cam here, and it sounds like that isn' really a reliable route--or even possible?

I gave him a 2 day trial of L-Theanine after reading that somewhere--and he went what I would call manic. That's when I decided to look here and get educated. I don't see us getting a Dr anytime soon, realistically with finances, but that was scary enough to get me to be more careful and cautious with what I try.

I think I could live with, ignore his tics forever--but I do sense it bothers him some, even though I try to convince him we love every bit of him, tics and all. He has prayed at times for God to calm the storm inside him, I pray that too.

Usually, with TS tics, although they may wax and wane in terms of the type of tic and/or the frequency/severity...they don't tend to totally go away for months and then return.

That is what makes me wonder if you are looking at something else triggering them?

Has you son had any infections or illnesses associated with the times when the tics & anxiety ramp up?

It is very wise to add any supplements with great caution and gradually, one at a time, preferably at lowest dose and then move up if it seems ok. Even though these are definied "natural" yet as you found with the theanine, not everyone can handle some of them!

Have you tried the Epsom Salts baths in the evening? Not only does the magnesium calm tics and promote helpful sleep, the sulphur is an excellent detox remedy. This can be done in addition to the daily magnesium supplements.

I really do wonder if your son's system may have been hypersensitized to the toxins from the alcohol and drug exposure in utero? That in itself would make me be very cautious about medications and focus more on detox and helping his system stabilize. Fetal alcohol syndrom is documented as often resulting in later tics.

This shows my ignorance, but I had not even thought about the Epsom salt bath as a detox, I was just thinking "more magnesium"! You have shared such wisdom here, my eyes honestly have teared up...I think the focus on detoxing his system is great advice. In some ways I have tried to ignore what all he was exposed to in utero-the drugs, alcohol, a terrible lifestyle and no prenatal care...it used to make me so angry. But your words help me see this information can be used as a tool to help me help him--this was very insightful for me Chemar, thank you.