ACN Latitudes Forums

glutamate/GABA regulation - supplement or not?

I am waiting on the test kit to arrive. My husband and I thought it might be a good thing to do before we had to add anymore vitamins and supplements. My son is on several of them. We are wondering if some of them could be making his illness worse and it would be nice to know what to stay away from and what might be more helpful.

With regard to taurine, when I gave it to DS many years ago, I found it made him much calmer, however it increased his tics by a frightening amount (tried stopping and restarting several times because it was so irritating that something that helped also messed things up so bad.) Same is true of fish oil in any guise whatsoever--they all help his attention, mood, and accuity, but they all turn him into a ticcing mess. Low and slow, and I 100% agree with the comment that you can be skipping along, thinking you are helping, and then find that your "best" supplement is the one that is causing the new problem.

Really wish that if DS had to have this problem, he could have been born about 15 years later so that research would have figured out how to deal with it. Of course, then I would be even older than I am now...

I didn't realize that fish oil could increase tics in some. I have been giving DS omega 3 capsules with fish oil....I wonder if I should try decreasing them. His tics have worsened in the past few weeks and I wondered if it was because the rest of the family came down with a cold/cough. But the fish oil thing is definitely something I should consider. I agree this is all so frustrating. There are way too many factors to keep track of and I have to admit that I don't really know what I'm doing!!

With my DS it was very obvious once I really paid attention; His Tics, anger and depression would immediately increase in less than 30 min after ingesting O3, similar to the vit D reaction he has/had. I even eliminated flax and chia seed that I was mixing in DS's oatmeal & baking into his GF bread due to his negative reaction to O3s. I used to get these wonderful (mostly) flax GF muffins that were a treat and he'd have 1 a few times a week; I probably gave him the fish oil with the muffin....so he just ended up with the treat from heck. I'm not quite ready to trial any again yet but he needs the good omegas! It is SO frustrating, I agree.

Like LLM I haven't seen any neg or pos to O6 supping which we do/did with Evening Primrose.

I have trialed NAC & CoQ10 and they also were not good for DS....it's so hard to do all this and keep track of what is and isn't helping.

His 23nMe results confirmed NAC and Vit D tolerance issues and that he's predisposed to potential intolerance of SSRIs as well, good info to have substantiated. I'm giving a shout out thank you to LLM for the wonderful help she gave me interpreting the data.

I think it is time to do the plunge and order 23 and Me. Anybody know if ordered outside USA they get the medical info?

The cynical person I am unfortunately becoming finds it interesting that the FDA that has approved a 300% increased in pesticide use and about to approve Agent Orange on our food supply is the same office not allowing us access to our DNA profiles to heal our kids?

The Omega 3 component wasn't addressed that I could figure out in the 23nMe info. LLM would be more adept to answer to be honest. There is a lot of info in the Heartfixer doc.

DS just would go bananas after he took either supp, or ate food that had a lot of O3 in it...he was pretty Accute then, so it was hard for me to connect dots, maybe now since he's 'better-than' it might not affect him as much? I dunno. I'm considering a Vit D lamp, if I get one I'll post how he reacts....and you might try small amounts of flax or chia vs a fish oil pill, maybe it won't have the same impact? I was overwhelming him on both sides: food wise and supps. He never had a chance!