ACN Latitudes Forums

When is it ts or strep

mar

Chemar this question is for u and hope u have some insight. My kids had the tics and strep when they were younger and dh has tics so it was always hard fingering out which one is it. Ds is now 11 going on 12 and has been doing well!! Dd is also doing well with tics . They have not been sick this past winter . They have hyperness but we limit sugar and are very stricken with sugar and allergens. Ds is doing awesome with all tics he usually had and his lips actually made it well this crazy cold winter. So dh still tics not crazy but it's their. With true ts I know there are always tics. But with ds being in 6th grade and doing well and not being sick. I always was scared about it getting worst with puberty. I always feared 6th grade and it's his best year ever! He is on clean diet which we have cheated on here and there and introduced new things and he is ok. Was and could this still be ts? He does have lots of energy at times but is getting good grades and really trying with no eye tics, mouth tics his main ones.

Mar

Hi Mar

only a PANDAS literate physician can really help to differentiate when the tics are in exacerbation due to PANDAS flare....and even then, hard to say if there is no active strep, due to the waxing and waning that is so characteristic of TS

Remember, TS & PANDAS are not mutually exclusive so a child with a strep history and PANDAS symptoms can also be a child who has tics from TS ie a dual dx

That would then add infection as a major trigger for the child. And, due to the nature of PANDAS, it really would be wise to address that as it can exacerbate so many issues!

• 3 weeks later...

Chemar thanks for the info and it makes sense. I do indeed notice infection has a huge trigger. It's not as bad now from when they where younger and thank goodness they have been strep free for awhile. But even a runny nose will cause a sniffle that is a little more tic related or a clearing of the throat but it does disappear with her when she is better. And so far crossing fingers they have been doing well with keeping up with diet with made a huge difference. I want to thank you again chemar for all your help and knowledge. You and this site have helped guide me with helped my children so much!!!

Mar