ACN Latitudes Forums

Infections that don't have a treatment

cara615

Is anyone aware of infections (bacterial or viral) that don't currently have a treatment? I know we use abx for the bacterial ones and there are antivirals and herbals that can treat viruses but does anyone have a child with an infection that can't be treated?

I ask becuase our Pedi thinks that there are some infections out there without treatments.....not sure which ones. I have asked her to elaborate on this.

DS has been triggered by parvo, influenza and coxsackie. Anti-virals can slow down the virus replication but they do not eradicate the virus - especially those that may convert to a dormant state. I'm not sure if anyone has had significant success with valtrex or other anti-virals. Right now it's a theory - to slow down viral activity and thus calm the responding immune system. Theoretically if a virus is dormant the immune system is not activated so it's likely no issue. The key is to support the immune system. and keep viral and bacterial loads to a minimum.

Edited by ibcdbwc

There are many viruses that don't have "treatment." Your immune system fights them off or you succumb to the illness. Epstein Barr Virus which often causes Mono has no treatment. I imagine there are too many too count in viruses. Most bacteria should be sensitive to any number of antibiotics either IV or by mouth.

Stephen Harrod Buhner has a book out called, "Herbal Antivirals: Natural Remedies for Emerging & Resistant Viral Infections". (Including coxsackie B virus.) Some of the herbs listed for Coxsackie are Chinese Skullcap, Licorice, Isatis, and Elder. He's also got a book out on Herbal Antibiotics. Oh, just to have time to read all this wonderful info...

While Pandas is tripped off by bacterial infections, once the disorder is triggered I think of more like arthritis. It is autoimmune. Misguided immune cells. So once the immune system is mixed up it would not necessarily take a bacterial infection, treatable or untreatable to create havoc. Remember what Swedo said....anything that causes inflammation can cause a flare. During my ds's first year of Pandas especially, indeed that was true. I spent that year looking for infections like strep, flu, tonsillitis, sinus, etc.... and scratching my head in confusion. 50% of the time it was none of those things. The culprits ranged from a lost tooth, a bad fall at the skate park, exposure, stress. All these things also cause inflammation thereby activating the misguided T cells.

Stephen Harrod Buhner has a book out called, "Herbal Antivirals: Natural Remedies for Emerging & Resistant Viral Infections". (Including coxsackie B virus.) Some of the herbs listed for Coxsackie are Chinese Skullcap, Licorice, Isatis, and Elder. He's also got a book out on Herbal Antibiotics. Oh, just to have time to read all this wonderful info...

....and don't forget Healing Lyme and Coinfections. I can't wait for his babesia book, soon to be published.

As 911rn and ibcdbwc also mentioned above, Buhner believes a properly functioning immune system is crucial for recovery. Killing infection will not result in a cure, the immune system has to be able to contain some level of replication. Our bodies exist as an ecosystem, not a sterile environment.

I have been thinking of this too. Mid January he started a flare - had him tested for strep and other co-infections. Nothing came up. But the flare coincided with a new tooth coming through. He got better after a few weeks, now is worse again. Why? Not sure, but DD has a cough/slight fever and DH had felt flu-like sick for a day and I have a cough, so obviously DS is reacting to us. Do I need more/stronger abx? Do I treat every flare with abx? Or maybe I should start some natural anti-virals. So hard to decide, so many things to consider.

I have Dr. Buhner's book on hold at the library. I hope it's helpful!

I guess the most frustrating thing to me about all this is why don't our doctor's do rechecks after our kids have major infections like strep, flu, sinus infections, and ear infections. I hate to say this but I think a blood test to check white blood counts should be mandatory when ever a person is sick. I wonder if some of these illnesses could have been preventive if our doctors would have insisted that we brought out child in for mandatory follow up and blood test. I know as parents we all get busy and some have work responsibilites. I fell into this catagory but when things didn't seem right, I did my best to get my child back into the doctor. I keep researching and finding some natural things that have been used to ericate lyme and co-infections. and other infections. However, I'm kind of scare to try some of these things without doctor supervision. I do think that most infections can be cured but the medical research is not intense enough to get this job done. So in the mean time, we suffer through the infections until a treatment is found. My hope is that all our children can get well soon and that more money will be put towards medical research.

I have positive all strains of coxsackie A and B and who knows what other enteroviruses, there really is not set treatment for these.

I've tried valtrex, didn't help, ended up in the ER with side effects. I tried equilibrant, didn't help, too many side effects. I don't know how to get help with this, I'm so sensitive to medication they are worse than the problem itself.

Enteroviruses seem to be ultra common in CFS and nobody knows what to do. Many people have tried anti-virals and didn't help titers.

I hate to say this but I think a blood test to check white blood counts should be mandatory when ever a person is sick.

I keep researching and finding some natural things that have been used to ericate lyme and co-infections. and other infections. However, I'm kind of scare to try some of these things without doctor supervision.

I do think that most infections can be cured but the medical research is not intense enough to get this job done. So in the mean time, we suffer through the infections until a treatment is found. My hope is that all our children can get well soon and that more money will be put towards medical research.

The trouble with the first point is that often blood counts are not significantly out of the normal range, or at least not enough to raise a red flag with most doctors.

Throughout treatment DD's lymph's were always a little low, but not much. Only at one time did her CBC indicate very low a WBC count (her sample was taken while she had the flu) and the LLMD called us in a panic, saying to stop all abx, thinking it was a drug reaction. It wasn't, it was the flu and all parameters returned to normal after she recovered. A very low CD57 has been our only indication that NK cells are being impacted, and most doctors don't test for that.

I have gotten to the point in this ordeal that I believe I can do a better job at treating DD with herbs and other more natural treatments than I can with continued abx. Our LLMD knows little about herbs, and so after reading through Buhner's books at least once (a few more times would be good), consulting with his associate, and bringing aboard a ND versed in Traditional Chinese Medicine, I am comfortable with my decision to forgo conventional medical treatment. We continue with regular CBC/CMP testing through the LLMD.

DD continues to heal, improving by adding herbs that Buhner suggests for viral/protozoan infections. We have never tested for viral infections and tested negative for babesia (a protozoa), but I have found another answer to our puzzle.

When you run out of tests, or money or which ever comes first, you realize that you can only count on yourself and your ability/willingness to investigate alternative options. Some work - start slow, record every reaction - you may find a way out.

There are so many potential explainations for the impacted immune systems of our children:

High level EMFs disrupt our bodies electrical systems causing added stress.

Pesticides destroy the gut symbionts responsible for much of our immune system.

Vaccinations, well don't get me started on the potential causes for harm.

It's not just infections causing our kids problems and it's not just abx/antivirals that are going to fix them. We have too look outside the allopathic box too.

Edited by rowingmom