ACN Latitudes Forums

omega 3s and phosphatidylserine

I thought I posted this already - ?? perhaps I am in need of some omega 3s! :lol:

please share your thoughts/experiences with omega 3s. we used to have it in our regime, but dropped it when we added other things. I don't really remember thinking I saw differences either way. but I am now thinking of trying it again.

I have been interested in omegabrite, but it is expensive. I need liquid for one ds, the other can do pills. we used to use natural factor - EPA1500; DHA 750 in 1 tsp.

today I gave them 1/2 tsp - but am wondering if that is a hefty dose -- EPA 750, DHA 375?? maybe we did 1/4 tsp before. I don't know. omega brite recommends 1/4 tsp with EPA 475 and DHA 112.

has anyone experienced negative reactions? ds9 is so darn sensitive to many things.

also, there was a recent post about vayarin. does anyone have experience with phosphatidylserine? LLM -- is that something you give/have given?

basically, ds9 is doing well, but I am always vigilant. he remains quite 'fidgety'. he has a wiggle seat at school and is generally okay. but, he did get in trouble with a substitute yesterday. 2 teachers who know him well got involved and fixed it. the good news is that he was not too upset and was able to advocate for himself with the teachers he knows well.

thanks!

We had negative experiences with Omega 3's. Been too long for me to remember exactly what I saw, but remember I didn't like it. Then DS tested positive for pyroluria and Klinghardt says those with pyroluria need Evening Primrose (non-inflammatory form of Omega 6s) more than they need Omega 3s. We've given EPO for 3 yrs now. I recently ran out and stopped for a time. Didn't see any huge change but maybe a slight decrease in tolerance, mental sharpness. So I've added it back.

Phosphatidylserine, on the other hand, is a definite keeper in my house. Saw immediate improvement in ADHD symptoms. I used to give 100mg in the am and 100mg at dinner to help him focus on homework in the evening. I've now backed off to just morning dose unless he has some concentration issue and then I may add back the dinner dose for a few days while I look for the cause. For DS, PS100 is one of his important supps (we use Jarrow - most affordable I've found and even that's not cheap).

We are starting over with figuring out what to give. A few years ago I had DS on fish oil with a 2:1 EPA to DHA. Total of 1000 I think. Initially, we used nordic naturals but DS, though not in a flare, started doing a bit more tapping/touching compulsions (which seemed to be less OCD related at the time). I thought he was reacting to the lemon flavoring. We switched to another brand, I don't remember which one but it had the same ratio and he did okay though I don't feel like it didn't much of anything. In my mind, I felt like I was helping inflammation stay down but i did not see any change one way or another with behavior. At one point, we changed to a EPA to DHA ration of 7:1 which you will see some recommend. That definitely increased the tapping and touching/sensory type things - though again it didn't cause any sort of flare. Over the last year as we were "in remission," I stopped the fish oil all together and he was fine behaviorally and his focus was fine so I'm not ever sure the fish oil made tangible difference.

Now however, DS is sick since September with frequent colds/sinus everything issues including dramatic flares with each one. I'm thinking of adding it back in for the anti-inflammatory effect. But we will use 2:1 and as with everything seems best to start low and go slow.

Like LLM's DS, I think DD may have an adverse reaction to omega 3. I am starting to correlate an increase in ticcing with omega 3 supplementation (CLO 4x weekly), which actually increased when I added krill oil (supposed to be highly absorbable and bioactive). Unfortunately this ticcing/omega 3 observation was confounded by a yeast infection, so that could have been a factor as well. Now on increased probiotics and with removal of omega 3, DD's ticcing is back to a level of 1/10 (it is suggestable only) from the 3/10 that she experienced a few weeks ago.

In researching a possible cause for this reaction I can across Brian Peskin's work. He suggests that the body makes only as much DHA and EPA as it needs from the parent oils (ALA and LA), and that the parent oils are important for the proper maintanence of cell membranes. That by dosing straight DHA/EPA you may end up overdosing on the metabolites.

I know that for DD, a build-up of anything that her body can't detox will result in ticcing.

There are some interesting references in these papers, although his work has been discredited by many.

http://www.brianpeskin.com/BP.com/publications/Journal%20of%20Lipids%20-%20Why%20Fish%20Oil%20is%20Harmful-1-2014.pdf

Our LLMD prescribed phosphatidyl choline (PC), which we have been using for the last 3 years. We had been supplementing PS as well, but recently ran out, and I think I will let that one go for a while. I haven't noticed much of a change in removing it at this point.

Not saying at all that PS is not important because DD had a great breakthrough in speech/singing when she was 4 and I started supplementing with it. She had never sung, no nursery rhymes or anything at all - even though I sang and played those types of childrens songs fairly frequently.

2 days after I started supplementing PS, she started singing. It was very weird. At this point I realized she was dealing with some nutritional deficiencies, that it wasn't only her quirky behaviour that was making her different from other kids.

PC is another phospholipid that is important for the health of cell membranes and nerves. I think we will stop using PC soon (the choline/lecithin part is usually derived from GMO corn) and substitute this:

http://www.mysunflowerlecithin.com/deoiled-sunflower-lecithin-in-powder-form/#content

RowingMom: FYI - We used parent oils for 3 years based on Peskin philosophies and when we recently ran Spectracell Vitamin/Mineral test we found both older DS and myself to be deficient in Omega 3s and I was deficient in ALA. On our previous Spectracell DS was deficient in ALA . As a result, we switched to Krill Oil.

We've used Phosphatidyl Choline in both powder and IV form. Per our LLMD its suppose to help deliver herbs/medication to the brain and is also very calming. IV therapies are definitely helping but there is a lot of vitamins/minerals plus the Phosphatidyl Choline so I am unable to single out its sole benefit.

I'm the one who has posted about Vayarin and as I've said before it seems to have been quite helpful for us. Sounds like you already know that Vayarin contains phosphatidylserine, EPA, and DHA. We've been on it for about a month. It's really helped with behavior and focus issues in particular. Would you get the same results from a fish oil pill + PS? Maybe, I couldn't say.

In December, before Vayarin, we had a conference with his teachers where they strongly recommended a 504 plan for his behavior and distractibility issues. Friday we had another conference and they said he was getting mostly As and his behavior was no longer a problem. His ability to sit down and crank out his schoolwork is much, much better.

We were using OmegaBrites before and I thought those were helpful, but Vayarin has taken it to another level. My doctor recently recommended that we add a fish oil pill of 200-300 mg of EPA a day. That seems to have been helpful on top of the Vayarin.

RowingMom: FYI - We used parent oils for 3 years based on Peskin philosophies and when we recently ran Spectracell Vitamin/Mineral test we found both older DS and myself to be deficient in Omega 3s and I was deficient in ALA. On our previous Spectracell DS was deficient in ALA . As a result, we switched to Krill Oil.

We've used Phosphatidyl Choline in both powder and IV form. Per our LLMD its suppose to help deliver herbs/medication to the brain and is also very calming. IV therapies are definitely helping but there is a lot of vitamins/minerals plus the Phosphatidyl Choline so I am unable to single out its sole benefit.

Have either of you had negative reactions to krill oil?

We are taking 2,000 mg of Protocol Krill Oil. It is hard to say if there was an increase in symptoms when we started because we did a lot at the time.

A little of topic:

Older DS remaining issues were occasional dark circles under his eyes, often said he 'just wasn't feeling well', stamina, nail biting/attention, OCD has resolved for long time now, TICs have resolved for long periods of time and then suddenly resurface for brief periods (very mild). I've noticed resurfacing of tics around full moon and change in altitude while skiing.

When we tested his vitamins/minerals with Spectracell he was deficient in Glutathione, CoQ10, Selenium, Vitamin C, B -12, Copper, Zinc, Calcium, D3, Manganese, Typtophan (Amino Acid test by Dr.'s Data) and Omega's (different test than Spectracell for Omega's). He has high nagalase (we have not done GcMAF shots). IgG and IgA deficient (not currently doing IVIG). This information was just shocking to me because we were supplementing with many of the things above. Spectracell measures white blood cell utilization of vitamins/minerals.... not serum levels. At this point, our LLMD decided to prescribe IV nutrients for many of the things above. Since starting the IVs, the just not feeling well, occasional dark circles and nail biting/attention has mostly resolved.

I am convinced something is still working on his immune system. He still has a yeast issue on and off and know he has high levels of black mold (via urine test not Shoemaker panel) and we are currently detox'ing him for mold. Many of the above symptoms could be attributed lingering Babesia, FL 1953 or mold/yeast. His younger sister is positive for FL so we are testing him as well to see if that is the issue. It will take several months to fully detox mold. Altitude/Full moon symptoms makes me think its still Babesia or FL. Mepron would not treat FL.

Edited by sf_mom

sf_mom, How are you detoxing him for black mold?

The year my DS got sick we had heavy rains and later I found the stachy mold behind the wall where he would sit and play. We moved out, got rid of the mold and also got rid of Asthma but not the PANDAS. I have always wondered if that was our straw that broke the camels back.

We are using Cholestryramine daily to detox mold.

Our problems didn't start until we moved into our last house either. However, mold is just one of the issues we have discovered along the way. It took a tree falling on the home to discover both black and unidentifiable white mold behind the walls. DS is positive for the same black mold that was found in high concentration in the home. His C4As were normal and Shoemaker Panel IND. We found the mold in our son via the Real Time Labs Urine test. We are relieved to be out of our last home and living in a home that was environmentally tested prior moving in.

Edit: I meant to add to my prior post that our son might have been so depleted of vitamin/minerals from heavy metal chelation, biofilm/oxygen related therapies and perhaps mold.

Edited by sf_mom