ACN Latitudes Forums

PANDAS and Strep outbreak in Duxbury Mass. School and State Involved

3bmom

Yes it is! I would love them to use Dr James Greenblatt from Qannie47's post "well this is encouraging". He does a simple urine test for gut issues. It would be so fascinating to see that along with blood work for infections. A perfect opportunity to shed some light for us all instead of disguising it as Mass Hysteria like the poor girls in Leroy.

This is a very misleading headline; there is no P.A.N.D.A.S or Strep outbreak in Duxbury, MA. There is no "involvement" from the school district or the State of Massachusetts. I'm a parent with two children in the school and have discussed this issue with the school and the Duxbury Board of Health; there is no outbreak.

There was, however, a meeting last Thursday in Duxbury, organized by a group of Duxbury mothers who have an interest in P.A.N.D.A.S. and are looking to raise awareness. They organized to have Margaret Chapman, a nurse, come and talk about P.A.N.D.A.S. It's fine to raise awareness but care should be taken not to mislead; it diminishes credibility.

Edited by Sheila Rogers
Shortened post.

Seems interesting that today there is a post on this forum about this and then on the actual article a comment by pedi in Boston speculating PANDAS as a theory... (I Google searched his name)

Seems like people are trying to diffuse a situation they are afraid of getting out of hand... Would love to hear from the mothers who organized this or the nurse that spoke.

I hope the pedi and the new poster never have to experience PANDAS/PANS but I can guarantee our childs illness is more than a theory..

mommy2mcl: Hey, I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't have an affected child and I'm not a medical practitioner. I'm not trying to "diffuse a situation", becuase thiere is no "situation". The meeting that took place was informational; there is no outbreak in Duxbury!

I do however, have a neighbor in Duxbury, who claims, to anyone who will listen, that her children have PANDAS, and frequently approaches other parents suggesting that their kids may also have PANDAS. I've taken the time to listen to people and read both sides of the debate. I did not see the comment made by Dr. Rob Lindeman, a pediatrician in the Boston area, until after you made your post. What I did do, the day this article was published, was to contact our school system and Duxbury's Board of Health to understand what was going on. The answer: Absolutely nothing is going on; there is NO EPIDEMIC IN DUXBURY...

I'm not weighing in on whether PANDAS is a theory or not, and I certainly do feel for the parents and their children who suffer from these symptoms. I just don't think that hyperbole and misleading articles help your case.

I am glad this area of Mass. is so proactive. They have authored two bills for insurance coverage for PANDAS kids for their state. This is truly awesome wether there is an outbreak this year or not. I am amazed at the parents ability to come together.

Anybody with family or friends in the state can help get this passed. They also are accepting personal stories from our community. All the info is on the PANDAS Network. Sorry I would post it but am computer challenged. Can't imagine how good I would be if I studied computers for 9 years instead of the immune system!

This is the link http://pandasnetwork.org/malegislation/ 3bmom was talking about regarding the bill for insurance coverage for PANDAS kids in Massachusetts. I also have another post about the bill H.984. Not looking to hijack this post but this is awesome! A Bill that would cover the cost of IVIG. IVIG has been a blessing for my kiddo but the cost is a killer. We do what we have to for are kids!