ACN Latitudes Forums

Labyrinthitis

dut

Hello.

PANDAS dd 10 has recently had a middle ear infection, followed by an outer ear infection and then ear pain which resolved with antihistamines and holding nose/blow to help clear Eustachian tubes and now...

dizziness on moving her head and position changes, and some nausea. She is also having the odd instance of eye pain behind th eeye but no headaches. She wears glasses but they are 5 months old at best and feels her sight is ok.

It has even been waking her at night. The dr thinks it's labyrinthitis - inflammation of the inner ear and I think that's probably correct, especially with the temporal relationship to ear infections.

I was only wondering as I'm seeing it related to anxiety/panic attacks in the literature, the explanation being that feeling that dizzy can be very disorientating etc and anxiety inducing. I dunno.. just wondered if other parents were seeing anything like this in their kids.

I'm not so sure what you are asking dut. just wanted to mention that my ds had eye pain with onset. he was 4.5 at the time, but I remember him sitting in his car seat, holding his hand over his eye and yelling about how his eye hurt. then it would seem to go away quickly. he also had one night he awoke with intense ear pain in the middle of the night; when he woke up for the morning, he was fine. the doc did not see ear infection.

this was with onset of symptomatic behaviors in late Oct. early Dec, he had ASO of 898; early Feb he had a CT that showed all 6 sinus cavities infected.

dizziness can certainly be related to ear issues -- but maybe sinuses too. have you checked her sinuses?

Hello.

Thanks for the response.

Yeh, sorry if I wasn't clear. I was mainly trying to confirm that this was definitely a separate issue from the PANDAS. I feel it is but PANDAS has such wide reaching arms that I thought I'd just throw it out there in case anyone else had seen it in tandem with other PANDAS symptoms.

I also had dysautonomia in the back of my mind because of the dizziness aspect and I've seen a few folks mention that in relation to their PANDAS symptoms.

From what I can read, she is young to have labyrinthitis but who knows. It'll probably resolve just fine...

Thanks.

It's interesting you mention eye pain. When I had glomerularnephritis, I felt my left eye pulsating, like this tick-tick-tick type of feeling, like a rhythmic tapping behind my eyeball for a few seconds every time it happened.

Also, I was on a long course of penicillin for very high ASO and I felt dizziness and a nausea type of feeling, almost like meningitis. I thought I had mastoiditis, but then it turned out to be from the antibiotics. I decided to stop the antibiotics to see if it would resolve before going forth with a lumbar puncture, and it did resolve.

Edited by pik