ACN Latitudes Forums

Need Advice - Recent PANDAS Diagnosis

MPatti

I don't really know a ton about steroids as we didn't do the "confirming" burst for diagnosis. Dr. K diagnosed my daughter. He was worried she had a current infection, so he skipped the steroids and put her on antibiotics. Hopefully, someone else can answer your questions.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My DD's story is similar to your Son's. She was also diagnosed early and treated with a month of steriods by Dr. L. She didn't have noticable tics but she had a severe behavior and cognitive regression. We saw improvements with the steroids, but it wasn't until the very end of the month that she really dramatically improved. Hang in there. I am eternally grateful she was treated early because we have been able to manage this mostly by steroid tapers.

This was about 5 years ago. Now she is going to be 11 yrs old and is doing so well! I won't say she's 100% because we believe she will always have a low level of anxiety, but she deals with it so well. She is the neatest kid, and I'm so grateful that I've been given the privilege to be her mother.

Karen - so happy to hear your daughter is doing so well! How long after the onset of symptoms did you receive treatment?

jenann - thanks for the info about lyme - I will definitely do some research. I have removed ticks from my son before, but I have never noticed a bulls eye rash or an illness after removing a tick. So glad your son is improving so much! By the way, we also have a Boxer - best dog ever!!

Karen - so happy to hear your daughter is doing so well! How long after the onset of symptoms did you receive treatment?

We knew something was wrong by mid-April, she started prednisone in the beginning of June. By July 4th week she was about 98% recovered with the majority of the recovery happening that last week. It took until Sept for her to shed some minor OCD, but it took about a year for her creativity to return.