Jump to content
ACN Latitudes Forums

Rare gram positive cocci in sinus culture


Recommended Posts

Waiting to hear back from PCP and ENT who did the culture of my DD14's sphenoid sinus back in November but never called with the results. I just happened to be looking over lab results today and had never looked at the culture one and saw the sinus culture contained "rare gram positive cocci and few white blood cells." LLMD says this is bad and probably is a huge factor in hindering her progress after 3 years of aggressive treatment. LLMD thinks it's the MARCoNS that Shoemaker talks about so he ordered BEG spray and changed up her meds. DD14 is on day 80-something of an unrelenting headache. Gram positive cocci were also found in a blood culture last week, but we are re-running test to confirm since I don't think phlebotomist cleaned her skin long enough to prevent contaminating the sample. If the blood is positive for the same bacteria in the sinuses, what does this mean? DD was prophylactically started on Rifampin and Doxy yesterday.

 

For those of you who have gone down the Lyme/sinus/mold/MARCoNS path, can you give me your opinion on finding gram positive cocci (LLMD says it's most likely staph) and WBCs in the sinuses?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Similarly, my friends son did a nasal swab and he came back positive for 5 bacteria's both Strep and Staph were included in the mix. I don't even remember the other 3 bacteria's. Beg Spay did not help him or me. LLMD thought biofilms in nose. Again, low MSH (from mold exposure) will make it difficult for anyone to eradicate Staph. Shoemaker explains on his website. The only relief I have had from sinus issues has been from nebulized hydrogen peroxide or ozone.

 

Hydrogen peroxide is very inexpensive and easy to use if you have a nebulizer. See my post under FLUSHING RED CHEEKS on hydrogen treatments.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of mine had a very severe staph infection in his nose and all over his body, and he did a natural treatment with inhaled juniper vapors. I wonder if that would be helpful. I know his doctor was in NJ. I can find out details for you if you're interested.

 

Also, I had a headache for a REALLY long time, it almost felt like I had meningitis. I was on penicillin at the time for very elevated ASO titers, and decided to discontinue it before going ahead with a lumbar puncture, and the headache gradually went away over the next week or so. I wonder, if your daughter is on antibiotics, if that may be causing the headache.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ds and DD both used Mupirocin in a compounded spray for their sinus issues. They both had their sinuses swabbed and cultured. It turns out that the quality of the lab has a huge impact on the quality of the findings. The doctor we had at the time ran them through the University of Missouri. It cost more; but it was so worth it!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Similarly, my friends son did a nasal swab and he came back positive for 5 bacteria's both Strep and Staph were included in the mix. I don't even remember the other 3 bacteria's. Beg Spay did not help him or me. LLMD thought biofilms in nose. Again, low MSH (from mold exposure) will make it difficult for anyone to eradicate Staph. Shoemaker explains on his website. The only relief I have had from sinus issues has been from nebulized hydrogen peroxide or ozone.

 

Hydrogen peroxide is very inexpensive and easy to use if you have a nebulizer. See my post under FLUSHING RED CHEEKS on hydrogen treatments.

 

sf_mom - Did you have as much luck with nebulized hydrogen peroxide as you did with oxone insufflation?

 

Wonderful alternative care suggestions on the site you suggested. Thank you.

 

http://healyourselfathome.com/HOW/THERAPIES/H2O2/H2O2_MAIN.aspx

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ozone is a lot stronger and not always tolerated easily at first. Because our older DS had chronic cough he could not handle ozone nasal insufflation initially so we started to nebulize with hydrogen and worked up on dose. He can now tolerate a very low dose of ozone and only for a minute. However, we can ozone insufflate his ears with no problem but I always have a herx from it. Never did I imagine to have something chronic in my ears but it/was definitely there. Herx's are the following: obvious short term memory issues for about 24 hours, sometimes headaches, sometimes fatigue, ear aches, ringing in ear, joint pain. All resolve fairly quickly.

Edited by sf_mom
Link to post
Share on other sites

We now use 'Manuka Honey' mixed with distilled water for 'sinus maintenance.' About a tsp./1/4 cup. My dh uses it once a week (frequency recommended by doctor-more often is not recommended) and my ds was using it until we started swimming in a salt water pool. It seems many people with chronic illness have this staph in their sinuses. Even when we got rid of it using 'BEG' spray recommended by Dr. S, it came back.

 

So we try to do maintenance treatments which seems to be working, along with supporting the immune system with various supplements (Gaba mushrooms is one we currently use).

 

Hope you can find some answers for the headache. Ds's went away with lyme treatment.

 

Here is an article that describes 'sinus maintenance' and has suggestions:

 

http://www.betterhealthguy.com/sinus-health-and-cleansing

Edited by juliafaith
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...