ACN Latitudes Forums

Darn that ALA....

AS shared, my ds has been doing well for some time now. I also shared that I realized that ALA causes vocal tics in my ds so I of course stopped. With his recent tonsillectomy, we were told to remove all supplements, even his multiple. He has done great. I thought it was time to start adding some back. So I was thrilled when I found an omega 3 supplement that also had d3 in it. It was a chewable by LIL Critters. Today, my ds was off the charts with motoric movements and a lot of vocal tics. Just came out of the blue. I thought perhaps he was reacting to a rather impressive bump on his head he received during gym today. I also decided to double check the back of his new omega 3 vitamins...sure enough....they have ala in them. Down the line, I really have to do the 23&me.

Yes, I am curious about this as well. For a while I thought fish oil increased DS touching/tapping compulsion which may or may not be a tic of some sort. Yet, I felt he benefited from the anti-inflammatory properties. He's been on again and off again because I've never quite found the right supplement. You think its the ALA (alpha linolenic acid) that causes this specifically? Have you been able to find a supplement without it?

Are you talking about alpha lipoic acid or alpha linoleic acid or alpha linolenic acid? Alpha lipoic acid can mobilize mercury in the body and if not chelated and removed properly can cause mercury redistribution, especially in the brain. The Cutler protocol uses alpha lipoic acid with chelators to decrease metal toxicity.

http://recoveringnicholas.com/2009/04/29/andy-cutlers-chelation-protocol/

linolenic acid is a metabolite of linolenic acid, and arachodonic acid can be a metabolite of both. Arachodonic acid can be inflammatory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleic_acid.

Alpha Lipoic Acid. I double checked with the pharmacist and he said ALA is Alpha Lipoic Acid. Yes, I am sure it is the culprit. When I started it this past fall, that was the first time I saw BIG facial/motor tics. When I removed it from his diet . They stopped in 24 hours. Then to make sure, I added them back in and in 24 hours or less...they reappeared. This time around, it was an accident. I bought the Omega 3 with vit D and failed to check what else was in it closely. It was the tics that caused suspicion. Sure enough...there it was ALA. I gave him these supplements in the morning,but not today. I recalled that in the past ALA left his system pretty rapidly and his tics stopped rapidly as well. This morning, I saw no tics or motor movements at all, although some might crop up during his day, he should be in great shape by tomorrow.

I like the Omega 3 and Vit D3 because of the brain support/healing claims.....

I also checked his other supplements that he used to be on, and low and behold, there was ALA in the another brand that I used to gibe him that was specifically OMEGAS/Fish Oil....so I now wonder if his FAll episode was being influenced by that as well. He was truly off the charts ##%%#@###

I think that I am just going to stay the course of no supplements, since he seems to have done so well without any of them. I am pretty good on making sure his diet is well rounded. Perhaps just the multiple with extra vit c.

I COPIED THIS FROM WEB MD: Alpha-lipoic acid or ALA is a naturally occurring compound that's made in the body. It serves vital functions at the cellular level, such as energy production. As long as you're healthy, the body can produce all the ALA it needs for these purposes. Despite that fact, there has been a lot of recent interest in using ALA supplements. Advocates of ALA make claims that range from beneficial effects for treating conditions etc...

Edited by qannie47

We added omaga (in the form of a product called speakeasy) to my son's diet this summer to boost his speech and language weaness. Around this time he entered a prolonged, serious period of rage. I was told by one pandas mom that omega actually increased anxiety in her child. We had to break that situation. so we stopped hte omega. I've afraid to add it back in, even though its benefits are so many, for fear of bringing him back to that aweful place

hrosenkrantz: do you know if the omega supplement contained ALA? Just thought I would throw that out there since when I checked my other omega supplements they also contained ALA.

As I hoped, My ds was dramatically improved today with no ALA given this morning. Had a great school day as well. Past experience told me that it leaves the body very quickly, at least with my ds. Right as rain.

hrosenkrantz: do you know if the omega supplement contained ALA? Just thought I would throw that out there since when I checked my other omega supplements they also contained ALA.

As I hoped, My ds was dramatically improved today with no ALA given this morning. Had a great school day as well. Past experience told me that it leaves the body very quickly, at least with my ds. Right as rain.

Edited by qannie47

ALAMax CR made by Xymogen has a chelator, EDTA, in it. My son has been taking it daily for two years. He has been taking an omega three fish oil for three years with high amounts of EPA, Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega. Those gummies have very little actual fish oil in them. If your child cannot swallow the large fish oil pills, and they are huge, try gummies or liquid from Carleson. It tastes good. Carleson is a high quality fish oil that is filtered so you don't need to worry about mercury and other heavy metals being in it. There is a PANDAS mom who is a rep for Carleson here in MI and so I've had the opportunity to sample the gummies and liquid.

I give my son Vit E and Vit A made by Carlesons.

Well, because of all the mention of omega 3, which I usually give as 3 doses weekly of cod liver oil, I thought I would add some krill oil which is supposed to be less contaminated and more bioavailable.

We started on Monday morning. DD complained of ticcing Monday during school, although I didn't notice it much by the time she had gotten home. I asked how her ticcing was in the afternoon and she said "fine".

Yesterday I picked her up from school for an appointment at 10:00 am and she was ticcing after 1 krill oil capsule with her morning supplements. Again by the afternoon it had resolved.

No krill oil this morning so we will see how her ticcing is today. I checked the package and it doesn't record ALA as being one of the ingredients.

This was disconcerting because until the yeast infection a couple of weeks ago (which we now have a handle on with probiotics and herbs) she hadn't ticced since last April when abx were discontinued. I couldn't figure out why she was still reporting ticcing. Perhaps this is the answer.