ACN Latitudes Forums

how long to see any result with ibuprofen?

DS is in the midst of a flare and particularly bad today. He was very tired, tics going full force and his vocal tic, which on good days during this flare is usually a little squeal, became a full fledge screech/scream. So I tried giving him 200mg of ibuprofen around 3pm this afternoon. By 7:30pm, he was out of control ticcing like crazy, even worse than ever. I don't know whether to attribute this to his tiredness/anxiety or would ibuprofen affect him this way? Should I try giving him some tomorrow - does it take a few days to have an effect?

I am so tired, and desperate. He was doing so well before Christmas holidays. Now everything seems to be unravelling. :(

we usually give ibuprofen before bed time to help dd relax and it always does help her. we don't give it everyday.

you may want to try something else. i suggest you start another post and tell us what he is on, I am sure someone will comment about tics. you may also want to put your ds's history in your signature line so we know it when trying to respond to you.

as it is, since ibuprofen does not normally cause tics, it is hard to even start based on the info you provide in this post.

Edited by pr40

we were on clonidine and even though it had no negative effects on dd, we stopped it. she was then on clonazepam which had awful effect on her. after that clonazepam experience, we are no longer willing to do any psychiatric medication. I know that clondine is a blood presure medication but it does have psychistric effect and at this point we would not give it to our children. you may want to post about clonidine and see what kind of exp others had.

Anyone can have any kind of aside effect with any kind of medication. So although most of us have not seen increased tics, it could cause it in yours. With that said, it could also have been coincidental. Motrin works relatively fast and wears off within 4-6 hours. To really give it a shot you shou give it every 6-8 hours for a day or two and see if it makes a difference. You don't have to give it during sleep bourse, of course. I woukdnt recomend giving it for more than 5-8 days just to help manage a flare. I found it to be such a godsend that I gave it to my son twice a day for 6 months. I found out the hard way that that's not a good idea as it made him anemic. But I would not hesitate to use for the short term for flares.

Remember that a therapeutic dose is every 6-8 hours. If you really want to knock the inflammation down, you have to keep on too if it, otherwise you are just chasing your tail. What I mean is, the medication works for 6 hours (well that's how often you can take it, although I find it works for 4.5 hrs). If you take it as directed you have the chance to keep the inflammation down. If you wait 12 hours I take the med again you have let the inflammation creep back in for an additional 6 hours and now you have to start the process all over. 3x a day is ideal if you are really looking to wack down inflammation. There are many on this forum that find that twice a day is very helpful. You will have to experiment for yourself. Just don't give more than the amount on the bottle for your child's age/weight.