ACN Latitudes Forums

Topomax

Hedgie

I know this is more of a natural help site...but for those who started topomax for their child and had success, how long did it take to see an improvement. I tried the natural route ( magnesium, gluten free, still have appt set up with natural/ environmental dr/ saw dr T in hopes of it being Pandas) with no success and am desperate to give my son some relief. I have done a week on 25mg brand name Topomax and nothing has changed...should I stay on that dose longer...or up to 25mg twice a day as doctor suggested. Desperately looking for ways to stop the tics. Son is 9 and 60lbs......was really hoping this would help and worried what to do next

Hedgie, did u try removing milk/caesin, in addition to gluten? Also, dyes, artificial flavors and preservatves...msg, nitrates, nitrites, etc.? We did medicine-it was not topomax, can 't remember the name - for 1 month. The tics went down for about two to three weeks, then went back up. But in that month he gained about 8 lbs., was horribly constipated, very irratable, and very depressed. My son too was 9 at the start (he is now 10). Seems like they began right about the time he turned 9. Does your son have other issues like eczema, allergies, asthma, constant bruising, nose bleeds, constipation, chronic gas, bloating, joint pain, etc.?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this will help you but I had to put my son on medication two years ago when his tics exploded due to illness. At the time he had 5-7 at a time and they changed every 5-7 days. He went thru 45 of them !! Was horrible. Started low dose of tenex and they did go away. Not sure if it was the medicine or time but within a week things improved. Only side effect was sleepiness in the beginning but that did not last long.