ACN Latitudes Forums

Saccharomyces Boulardii

Many here use Sacc B/Florastor as their probiotic of choice, because Sacc B is a yeast and isn't killed off by abx, so you can give it at the same time you give abx. This is a big help when doing various meds at various times of the day. Other probiotics need to be given 2-3 hours away from abx or the abx will kill the probiotics.

Unfortunately, despite this advantage and Sacc B being a "good" yeast, it send my DS over a cliff. He reacts to it with many of the same symptoms he shows during a PANS flare - aggression/rage/short temper, brain fog, hyperactivity, intrusive thoughts. I don't have a scientific reason for his reaction, but I've seen it more than once and we now not only stay away from Sacc B supplements but have put him on diflucan and nystatin when it's showed up in stool tests. For him, it's as bad as any other yeast infection.

So it has many things going for it and if your child can take it without side effects, it's worth trying. But if you see an increase in unwanted behaviors, stop the Sacc B and see what happens. It's a very individual thing.

My son has been taking it daily for 3 yrs now. I started out using Florastor brand. Its really expensive and I now take it too. I started buying Yarrow brand at the recommendation of someone here. I'm not sure how you would know the difference between the two, except for the price.

Yes, we used it throughout antibiotic therapy and for a good bit beyond; we still keep some on hand in the event some tummy trouble occurs -- it's really effective against diarrhea.

Like nicklemama, we started out with Florastor but found that the Jarrow brand (we get it at the Vitamin Shoppe or Whole Paycheck) was equally effective and less than half the price.