ACN Latitudes Forums

My big decision

JoyBop

Well its a done deal. I met with the psychiatrist today and she said that I should go forward with private school placement. She said that there were no expectations in school for his behavior or performance and that any normal child would take advantage of that situation. She felt that regardless of the IEP that would be rolled out that it would take a great deal of time to get it right. There were 24 kids in class and one teacher. 5 of the students were out of control and my son fed right into their behaviors. She felt a one on one aide would be necessary to get him on track but knows that this school in particular would fight against that. I don't intend to stick around for a fight. In any see, I got her full recommendation to place him in the small private school that she feels would be a great fit. He would be expected to behave and participate and would be given the skills and confidence to do so. I was urged not to waste anymore time.

So that's a relief!! Now to decide when. The big IEP meeting is in 2 weeks. Should I stick around for the meeting or just make the switch? It would be helpful to have him qualify for the IEP for when he enters middle school. He's already into the charter middle due to a sibling that's there now. Does any one know if withdrawing him now would affect that meeting? That's a loaded question!