ACN Latitudes Forums

Help please

Mom

Hi, I would like your help please. My son suffers from tics and for the past couple week they have increased to the point where he twitches so much his glasses have flown out of his face. I have been doing a lot of reading and I heard that magnesium supplement helps with tics. I give him foods with magnesium but I have not seen a change so I think he needs more. What brand do you recommend and how much? My son is 11 years old and he weighs about 98lbs. If there is anything else that you recommend for me to give him, I would also appreciate it the info. Thank so much.

Hi and welcome.

As tics can be caused by a variety of things, it may be best to first try to determine why he is ticcing.

Magnesium is usually helpeful for people who tic due to Tourette Syndrome, and usually they take around 300mg of supplemental magnesium a day. Many here use the ionic magnesium citrate form as found in Natural Calm powder, that gets dissolved in water or juice etc.

But most magnesium supplemts are also ok except for magnesium oxide, which is very poorly absorbed.

I would suggest you take a look at our Helpful Threads link pinned to the top of this forum to get some more info on what can cause tics as well as various treatments. The book by Sheila Rogers on Natural Treatments for Tics & Tourette's has a wealth of info

You will probably need to look into other supplements on top on Magnesium. Best to start with a Naturopath who can have a hair analysis and blood tests done to determine nutrient levels. I think it is best to get assistance rather than guessing amounts to give a child. My son has had tics for 11 months now, so I guess we are closer to getting a TS diagnosis. However when he takes his supplements they are down to an absolute minimum. But when he refuses to take them the tics normally return after 2 weeks when his nutritional stores deplete.

Please visit my informational website, www.SafePlate.net. Too much information to put here. My daughter, Jessica, suffered for 5 years from a movement disorder with ever changing and sometimes disabling tics, OCD behaviors, comorbid ADHD, trouble sleeping, etc. We tried supplements, diets and other therapies. After research and experimentation, we found the least invasive, easiest and cheapest solution to be the most effective with a 95% improvement in symptoms. With some effort and the guidance in the website, you may see positive effects within a month. Please spread the web address to others. It's a safe website with nothing for sale. My hope is that if we are able to help another family, it will give meaning to the years Jessica suffered.

REGARDING GMO CANOLA OIL - Any singular ingredient that is certified organic cannot legally be GMO. That being said, there are many other non-GMO varieties available if organic canola, organic soy oil, organic cottonseed oil, organic corn oil or organic vegetable oil is unavailable.

Organic processed (not whole) foods are a little trickier. While Organic crops cannot be GMO, Organic foods can contain up to 5% non-organic ingredients, as defined by the USDA. While the USDA's policy does not allow for GMO ingredients to be among that 5%, I have found that they do contain GMOs. Policy is one thing; having the manpower to enforce it is another.

You need to read labels. Organic foods are a good place to start, but if canola oil (or another highly suspect ingredient) is listed but not specified as Organic, it's probably GMO. www.SafePlate.net